• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues- How many buns do you house currently?

I've only got 2 but think thats the way i'd prefer to keep it as they get on really well and if i added another id be afraid i ruined it for the girls. I have thought about getting another 'pair' though as do have the space but means they MIGHT get a little less attention :love:

Are you just asking out of curiosity Ambience? I know at Windwhistle Warren, they had 90+ bunnies in, along with piggies and hamsters. I'm not sure if it was a max capacity but that seems like a lot of small furries needing forever homes. :cry:

We currently have 104 and all of our permanent accommodation is full.

Last edited:
Don't consider myself a rescue, however, maximum capacity on site here for rescue places is 6 and we have 9 buns with a further 6 at Green Fields Rescue that we will help rehome.

We are a sanctuary rather than a rescue, but our maximum capacity is 30 and we currently have 29 in :wave:

Room for a little boy? ;)

We currently have 30 in foster care with no space at all :( Infact, we have more than we have space for :( When we do have space, it never stays as a space for more than a few days as we always have rabbits on the waiting list. We are desperate for fosterers too xx

Are you just asking out of curiosity Ambience? I know at Windwhistle Warren, they had 90+ bunnies in, along with piggies and hamsters. I'm not sure if it was a max capacity but that seems like a lot of small furries needing forever homes. :cry:

I've setup as a small rescue. I'm just helping rabbits initially, then expanding to cats and so on once we have even more space. This would be ideally a farm of our own, we are only renting the one we have at the moment, so we are still restricted to some degree.

I just wondered what would be a good idea to set my limit as. I am going to be setting up a very large shed building shortly and I'm just thinking about how many buns i should allow for.

90 is alot of animals without forever homes i agree. I'd like to be open to as many as possible, but as there is only me doing the care work- with the help of the local vets, i don't want to take on too much.

I can if necessary employ a staff member. I just wanted to know what other setups are doing and how they are coping with the workload what staff they employ and so on.

I'd like to keep things at a level where i don't have to rely on anyone else for help initially though.

Alice ( Windwhistle Warren ) depends very much on volunteers. I think you need to consider your veterinary costs and what these may be before employing staff. There are other ways to summon help but consider how you cope if you are ill with flu.

I have no experience myself but have had contact with Kay BunnyHop Hotel and Alice. Both have built up over time.

Whereabouts are you? I see you're renting too......just a thought but at some point you will be moving to a larger premise.

I think its wonderful that you are considering going down this route and wish you every success. There's a wealth of expertise here you can tap into.

Good luck Ambience.

How many staff do they have caring for the 80 they have in at the moment do you know?

At the moment it's just Celia, with 3 regular volunteers. She's struggling at the moment though because of the bad weather and one of her volunteers is on holiday. I went over to Kirkby to help out yesterday and there's definitely more work than Celia can do on her own.

Back