• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not many rescue centres in London?

I was searching on gumtree tonight and have seen a lot on buns (ill stop calling them bunnies from now on :D) that are in need of a home and some even being given away for free.

Since owning our 2 I have to say even tho they have been a nightmare the last 2 weeks and cost me £1000 in vet bills I love them to bits and would love to be able to take in some of the rabbits with no homes to go to and maybe in time rehome them if someone else is looking for a rabbit.

Is there much work involved legally in doing the odd bit of rescue if I see a post saying "rabbit must go to home ASAP" ?

I wouldnt want to get involved in breeding or anything like that just to give homes to rabbits who need one while a more permanent home is found.

There is a very large rescue in South London called Bobtails as well as several others dotted around the outskirts.
http://www.bobtailsrescue.org.uk/index.asp

Rescuing rabbits is a big responsibility and not as simple as it may sound, it's also very expensive and many buns end up waiting months-years for a home, if at all. I would get advice from a rescue organisation before taking the plunge just so you know what is 'really' involved and don't get out of your depth or take on more than you can manage. :)

It is expensive.

Especially if when you get them, there are problems unforeseen with their health.

We vaccinate and neuter prior to rehoming, and with food and bedding costs added as well as the inevitable vet care, we had spent about £19,000 in just two years of running. I dread to think how much it has been in total now, as I have been running the rescue 3 years!

Some animals can not be rehomed- severe dental buns for example, so that is ongoing money if you were to take on that responsibility. As I said at the start, some problems develop just after you take them/are not noticed at first.

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling it would be a case of a lot of money involved. My 2 have just had a £1000 in vet bills in last 2 weeks!

I run my own business as it is and wouldnt have the time to do anything too big but maybe the odd one here or there if it means they get set free or worse. :roll:

There is a very large rescue in South London called Bobtails as well as several others dotted around the outskirts.
http://www.bobtailsrescue.org.uk/index.asp

Rescuing rabbits is a big responsibility and not as simple as it may sound, it's also very expensive and many buns end up waiting months-years for a home, if at all. I would get advice from a rescue organisation before taking the plunge just so you know what is 'really' involved and don't get out of your depth or take on more than you can manage. :)

Thanks for that link, didnt find them.

Perhaps I could help more by sending them links to the rabbit rehome or picking them up myself and taking them there. Would want any rabbits to be come uncared for.

Thanks for that link, didnt find them.

Perhaps I could help more by sending them links to the rabbit rehome or picking them up myself and taking them there. Would want any rabbits to be come uncared for.

If you took a bunny to Bobtails you would need to prearrange first with them out of courtesy - they may be full already and have a waiting list, and you may be asked to make a donation to cover costs of neutering/vaccination because as far as a rescue is concerned you could just be an owner dumping their rabbit with a good story about how you rescued it.
It would be better to perhaps offer to volunteer at a local rescue - that way you would be helping out loads where it is really needed :):wave:

The problem is that there will ALWAYS be hundreds of thousands of unwanted rabbits and sadly rescues are already stretched beyond breaking point and they can't all be helped or saved.

How about fostering? That's what I'm hoping to do for buns. I foster cats already, and it's lovely to know that I saved these two from being PTS just for being an inconvenience. :( Hopefully they'll find their forever homes soon, and I can help some other cats. :love:

The Mayhew in North London are currently rebuilding their rabbit housing (sounds like it might end up quite swish!), that should be ready in the new year, and I believe they've got a bit of a waiting list already. They still have rabbits come in there and are moving them on to other rescues at the moment until their building is complete, you can contact them and ask if they need help fostering though.

Its good that you want to help give rescue rabbits a second chance. Running a rescue is alot of work and agree that the idea of fostering is worth looking into. I foster for my lovely local rescue and find it very rewarding helping them in the next step to a new home :love:

It may also be worth thinking about doing some voluntary work for a rescue. It could be something regular or helping out now and then. I help my local rescue man stands to raise funds and increase awareness of rabbits needs - it can be good fun as well.

Maybe contact local rescues and ask about what is involved in starting a rescue or if there is anything you could do to help. Best of luck :wave:

Back