• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Mitzeee! Updated 29/12/10

I feel so sorry for him at the moment after the wars he has been in with the other bunny I am having to keep him collared up and not much exercise so the wound can heal.

In the right his willy got hurt not sure if it was Elliot trying to bite it off or it just happened in the scuffle but it is scabby on the tip and he has trouble going to the wee wee shop, blows and forces open so he can go and he dont go very often either.

His ears are also very sore due to rubbing on the collar as I take it off every so often for him too clean, can I use sudacream on them?

And lastly the wound has been healing well but lots of glue left around it and im thinking that while this is still there then the fur wont be able to grow back but with him having his collar on all the time its not going to happen soon.

Any tips?

He is going back to the vets on Wednesday and was hoping to say to them if I can leave him with them for a while so they can try and see if when he cleans the wound is he doing any harm at it?

:(

Last edited:
Collars are not a good idea for bunnies unless absolutely necessary. I certainly would take it off for periods of the day and supervise instead so that he can eat/drink normally and consume his caecotrophs - this is important for his nutrition.

Using sudocrem is ok for buns but ideally not in areas that they can ingest large quantities easily. I don't know the extent of your bun's injuries but if he is having difficulty urinating he may need to see a vet sooner rather than later.

I hope he is on pain relief?

Yes he is on 0.4mg of both Baytrix and the yellow pain killer stuff (forget the name) Moxo-something?

I try to take it off as much as I can, he certainly dont rest much at all with it on which I dont like but ive got to be cruel to be kind in the long run so wound heals.

Its killing me tho I tell you. I will be dreading putting them back together again as well incase he gets bitten again! :oops:

He has been in and out of the vets for past 2 weeks, total bill for the 2 is about £1000 so far.

Last edited:
When you say collar is it one of the 'lampshade collars' that vet's use on bunnies, and are your bunnies both males as sometimes males kept together will fight and they will go for each other's private parts.

The collar is on him because he got a small bite from other rabbit and then he licked it clean and made it bigger then had to have it stitched up but them back together after a few days and then the other rabbit when for the same spot and ripped out the stitches and made a bigger wound.

So being that there wasn't much left to sew back up it was advised to keep collar on so wound could dry out and heal better. Its healing well but got lots of glue on it still.

Yes they are boys but didn't not fight at all before by neuted. Since then been nightmares.

The collar is on him because he got a small bite from other rabbit and then he licked it clean and made it bigger then had to have it stitched up but them back together after a few days and then the other rabbit when for the same spot and ripped out the stitches and made a bigger wound.

So being that there wasn't much left to sew back up it was advised to keep collar on so wound could dry out and heal better. Its healing well but got lots of glue on it still.

Yes they are boys but didn't not fight at all before by neuted. Since then been nightmares.

I had a rabbit once that was neutered and pulled all the stitches out after his op and he had to wear a collar to stop him from touching the wound.

Just watch your boys though as I had two from birth that I kept together and I got them neutered when old enough and they were smashing together and one afternoon they were both in the garden as usual and they started to fight and fur was flying and they were like a ball and one had bitten the other ones penis and I had to put one back in the hutch and take the other to a vet's and then go and buy another hutch as they were split up after that.
Sometimes two boys work sometimes they don't...mine didn't. :?

Hope he is soon better :)

Woken up to let him out for a wee and his willy is so sore his willy its stuck together at the vital part. He is weezing when trying too pee.

He has eventually gone but he must be in so much pain. Pooing is fine.

Are the boys neutered?

Are they together now? or separate? When you separated them after the fight, did you use neutral territory to reintroduce them? If not, and they were apart a few days I'm not surprised they fought again. If they are fighting this seriously they really can not be together at this point in time. You will need to keep them apart whilst poorly bun heals completely and then only reintroduce on NEUTRAL territory. If it fails again I would seriously consider finding them alternative partners, ideally a spayed doe each, or have them as two singles. Neutered bucks can work but not always as Tuckerbunnies has explained, and once serious fighting has occured your chances are lessened for the future with these two together.

Buster collars are not normally recommended for rabbits because they prevent a rabbit from practicing caecotrophy/corophagy and also because they restrict access to food and water which for a rabbit is vitally important that they eat continuously, and the same for fluids, especially post-op. If they are to be used they should be removed for periods of the day and bun supervised instead.

Woken up to let him out for a wee and his willy is so sore his willy its stuck together at the vital part. He is weezing when trying too pee.

He has eventually gone but he must be in so much pain. Pooing is fine.

He needs to see a vet, he may get scar tissue formation that closes the hole completely and then he will be in a lot of pain and unable to pee at all.

Yes they are Neutered. Was down 2 weeks ago. They are around 6-7 months old.

The collar is being kept on as I dont want him to do any further damage until vet gives him the all clear. I take it off quite a lot. Its not a big collar, he can still eat and drink as normal as he has a small bottle on his temporary cage.

I have a feeling it would be best not to put these rabbits together again as I dont want Elliot to end up killing him.

His last 3 wees have been fine must have just been due to wear he hadnt been in the night it has got stuck. Rang the emergency vet and they suggested a morphene like injection but dont want to put him under anything thing else just now after 3 GA's in a week.

He seems fine in himself, pooing lots and lots, mostly dry and the odd cluster of wet ones.

I will be glad to see the day when his is back to normal as I hate it at the moment, im not sleeping much through worry.

Mitzee seems to be a bit better today, keep letting him run around the house and he likes the tiles on the fire place guess they must be cooler for him.

He was licking my face a minute ago so thats a good sign as thats what he usually does!

Quick question, in his temp cage ive loads of bedding in there he pushes it to one corner, do the prefer to be able to sit on a clear floor rather then stand in hay etc? Ive seen a few pics on here where the hutches are clear wood on the floor with hay only in certain parts. In our hutch everything is covering with, paper, hay, mats, caprets as I assumed they would be more comfortable like this?

Mitzee seems to be a bit better today, keep letting him run around the house and he likes the tiles on the fire place guess they must be cooler for him.

He was licking my face a minute ago so thats a good sign as thats what he usually does!

Quick question, in his temp cage ive loads of bedding in there he pushes it to one corner, do the prefer to be able to sit on a clear floor rather then stand in hay etc? Ive seen a few pics on here where the hutches are clear wood on the floor with hay only in certain parts. In our hutch everything is covering with, paper, hay, mats, caprets as I assumed they would be more comfortable like this?

Some buns just don't like sitting on hay. My buns hate to sit on hay or litter and much prefer fluffy fleece blankets or vet beds :):wave:

Glad he is feeling better today.

Still weeing ok, came hope to a big puddle on the kitchen floor which was good. Will hopefully get the vet to clean the scab off tomorrow if they can.

Just back from vets, had to leave Mitzeee there as vet not happy with wound or willy. So they going to give him a good clean and maybe re glue. Want to try some cream on him as well. They have said the collar has to come off as its making his ears sore.

I just hope he doesn't lick the cream off as then he will have to have collar back on! At least if he does any damage in next few hours he is in the right place.

I'm glad to hear they've admitted him, it didn't sound quite right the other day. I hope he heals up soon, he's in the best place so try not to worry. x

He spends more time in there at home bless! Still with all he has been thorugh he still manages to lick me to death!

Need to ring up at 2pm to find how he is doing, I just hope he dont lick the cream or he will have to have collar on again. It seems he can scratch the wound with the collar itself so the collar is doing more harm then good by the looks of it, ears are sore.

Cant win with the collar or without it.

not good news, Mitzeee has had to have a staple in a bit of the wound that just won't heal and the area is a bit infected. Spoke about a different Anti-biotic but they don't come without their dangers. He is chewing at his willy and that's making it sore and I've got to try and keep bathing it keep it clean and from closing the whole area up. She says he also needs to have cream applied to the area but not sure about collar so I could be on guard for the next few weeks! Its killing me all this worry! Just want him to get better!

Been given Vetergesic by the vet to given to Mitzeee for the next 2 days, guessing its safe to do so?

From the list of doos and donts it seems that Mitzeee could take a turn for the worst at any moment.

Got to take him back Friday, lets hope we get some good news then at least!

Mitzeee not been to the wee for a while or any poos at all in cage I can see since about 5pm. Have had him out to run around and still noting, gave him one of the little tablets to help sort his gut out. How long shall I give it before I need to thinking about something drastic?

He aint been put out today but has had some vetgestic this afternoon so wondering if thats just the same as being put out.

Back