• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feed advice

Wondergirl

Alpha Buck
My 10week old buns will have been weaned onto A&P pellets when I get them next week. However, I can't get hold of that here so I'm wanting to feed them Science Selective pellets instead.

Do you recommend I wean them onto the junior pellet or the regular one? They will be coming up 11 weeks when I get them.

Also, my buns are mini lops, how much feed do you recommend I give them and how many times a day? :)

My 10week old buns will have been weaned onto A&P pellets when I get them next week. However, I can't get hold of that here so I'm wanting to feed them Science Selective pellets instead.

Do you recommend I wean them onto the junior pellet or the regular one? They will be coming up 11 weeks when I get them.

Also, my buns are mini lops, how much feed do you recommend I give them and how many times a day? :)

I'm no expert but would have thought that changing their pellets straight away wouldn't be the right thing to do as it would probably upset their digestion. Think it has to be done gradually - at least that's what I've always done. I think you can probably get A&P on-line - I know a lot of people here use them and think very highly of them. I would think that wherever you are getting your buns from would supply you with some to keep you going until you can get some. Don't think I've been much help, but hopefully you'll get more advice from here soon.

Oooh I forgot to add my buns will be coming with changeover food so I am planning to wean them gradually.. Sorry I figured that would be a given!

I can get A&P online but I don't really want to rely on the Internet for their feed hence why I want to change to SS. I just didn't know which one to start with... Junior or regular?

I'm no expert but i'd probably say junior until 3 months of age? but realistically adult would probably be fine.
You can give them alfafa hay as babies as well :)

I've read all sorts recommended for babies from unlimited pellets until 3 months to adult rations from day one but when I got my Eli as a relative baby I just gave him a bowful then took away whatever he hadn't eaten in 5 minutes.
He's always been a good hay eater though, if he'd not eaten so much hay I'd have further limited the pellets.

I'm no expert but i'd probably say junior until 3 months of age? but realistically adult would probably be fine.
You can give them alfafa hay as babies as well :)

I've read all sorts recommended for babies from unlimited pellets until 3 months to adult rations from day one but when I got my Eli as a relative baby I just gave him a bowful then took away whatever he hadn't eaten in 5 minutes.
He's always been a good hay eater though, if he'd not eaten so much hay I'd have further limited the pellets.

I would agree with this. You can probably get away with adult food. SS is a good choice to move too it has a good fibre content and is easy to get hold of. It might be worth trying to get one bag of A and P online so that they arent changing food at the same time as moving house

Also you may already know but I will say anyway veg needs to introduced in small amounts and gradually. If you can find out what veg they are already used to and stick to this for a few weeks before adding new veg

I went to the pet shop and asked i was given this food i don't know what its called but it is stickyish and as bits of hay in it x

I went to the pet shop and asked i was given this food i don't know what its called but it is stickyish and as bits of hay in it x

That sounds like a muesli type food. Once things have settled down with your baby and all is normal health and poo wise it might be worth switching to a pellet type food as they prevent selective feeding

ZoeLou sometimes the advise petshops give you are jank tbh they just want to sell what they have in stock, it sounds like they have given you a rabbit mix which isn't the best thing to give them. I could be wrong mind but if it has all sorts in its a mix.:wave:

ZoeLou sometimes the advise petshops give you are jank tbh they just want to sell what they have in stock, it sounds like they have given you a rabbit mix which isn't the best thing to give them. I could be wrong mind but if it has all sorts in its a mix.:wave:
When i bought George she said its what babies should have the food is very soft and sticky. . Would you recommend anything else what is easy for me to get hold of?

I've already checked about veg and they have had small amounts of carrot and parsley at the moment.
The buns will come with some a&p pellets to last for the changeover period :)

I'm no expert but all my rabbits had been fed on rabbit mix before I got them, I'm gradually changing them over to pellets which they only get once a day and a very small amount. The rest of the time they have as much hay as they want and a few veg in the morning and the odd treat. Of course you have to be careful with veg for babies, Excel rabbit pellets can be bought from a lot of shops as can SS rabbit pellets so if I were you I would aim to change them to a pellet that you can buy easily but remember it has to be done very gradually. Someone else put me right if that advise is wrong :wave:

Zoelou: that feed you described sounds like rabbit royale. If it is, it's a mix. There's nothing wrong with mixes, but often a rabbit will pick out the bits it likes best therefore encouraging selective eating. Many people prefer a pellet like Excel, Science Selective or Allan & Page.

Back