• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking/ asking for advice

weeble

Out of interest what do people look for when they come on here? I have started a lot of threads in the past asking for peoples opinions or advice and sometimes have just wanted to know that other people have the same worries fears etc that I have or am going through.

I was very lucky not long after I first joined, Chloe went into stasis, it was only through threads I had read on here and advice I received from a couple of members that I knew anything was wrong and it wasnt just 'tummy ache' or 'a bit off colour'. RU potentially saved her life

Since joining I have realised the plight of a lot of animals and am now a volunteer and homechecker for the RSPCA which I find very rewarding. I also feel confident offering advice to some questions people have on the more basic threads and think its great the way we all share and help each other

I feel that I and my bunnies get a lot from RU and have learnt a lot too, I enjoy reading the health threads and absorbing information and other peoples experiences to enhance my knowledge. Just wondering what other people get out of it and what prompted you to come on here?

Day to day I enjoy being able to chat with people who think in the same way I do, it also passes time. But RU has saved Mae's life before, I can trust the advice I get on here and I know there is always someone that can help :wave:

I first came here when Grim had problems and it has proved invaluable. I didn't know how to care for a rabbit who had no front teeth, abscesses, everything. But I read all the health threads too. When Grim ripped his nail out I knew how to stop the bleeding because of a thread I read on here. :)

I also post lots of random stuff because I like to show off my rabbits and I read about everyone else's because I love looking at bunnies.

:love:

I don't come on the forum a lot, but its nice to know its there, if that makes sense? I feel that I can get good, sensible advice from people who understand rabbits and the way we crazy RUers feel about them.:) Also I enjoy the general chat, because people tend to open up more on an "anonymous" forum more than in real life and you realise we all tend to have the same joys and worries and that makes me feel better about the world.

tbh it was mainly just chat that brought me to this forum (and keeps me here) but I think the support available if you need it is really reassuring.
I've learned a lot about basic bunny health and medications now by just browsing and joining in so I would recognise signs now that I wouldn't have before and if I have a problem with a bun I'll feel more confident talking about different courses of action and knowing what they're prescribing.

I find it odd that some people come on here and get annoyed by advice when it's totally appropriate. Some rare times I feel it would be better left unsaid but usually it's totally warranted and could potentially save lives.

I was also really glad to know that the forum was here when I bonded my trio, I'd never bonded before and was so nervous but reading through past threads and asking a few questions made me so much more confident and in the end it was a breeze!

Unfortunately what prompted me to come on here was losing my bun Tilly to a blockage in January of this year :( I had alot of questions and just wanted to share my experience with like minded people.
Out of something terrible came something lovely :love: From this wonderful forum I realised that I had done everything humanely possible for my bun and found some peace from it. Also a few months later I was helped and comforted enormously through my bun Mimis head tilt :D Without some of the people on here I would have gone insane through her very difficult illness, as it was I felt well informed, supported and better able to get her through it :love:
I lstill learn new things everyday on here, about all aspects of rabbit care. And have some interesting debates on non bun related topics :)
The best thing is knowing that thetes other bunny mad people out there and Im not completely nuts :oops::lol:

I came here because Mini was constantly getting a sticky bum and also I needed advice on making them an enclosure as I had three bunnies in two indoor cages put together and I knew this wasn't enough space.

Now look at me. Two pairs of rabbits with a room each :lol: But Mini rarely gets sticky bum now :thumb:

I joined because I was looking for advice when Storm had EC. As well as all the amazing health information, I love the pics and stories of other people's bunnies. :love:

I also love the General Chat section. People are so honest about their lives and problems, and it helps me feel more 'normal'! :lol: Some of the stuff that gets discussed here, people don't really talk about in real life. :wave:

I don't come on the forum a lot, but its nice to know its there, if that makes sense? I feel that I can get good, sensible advice from people who understand rabbits and the way we crazy RUers feel about them.:) Also I enjoy the general chat, because people tend to open up more on an "anonymous" forum more than in real life and you realise we all tend to have the same joys and worries and that makes me feel better about the world.

I didn't see your post before I posted, you've explained it much better than I did! :lol:

i too came on here looking for advice when eric was a bubba. i knew he wasn't well at all - gut instinct - but my original vets were :censored:

thanks to the advice from here, i found a brilliant vet not too far away and they saved eric's life.

i too read the health threads - obviously i don't have much advice to give as i still see myself as a novice - but a when i have needed advice or support, its been brilliant, especially in the dark and worrying hours with a bun in stasis for example.

the reason i've stuck around so long too is that i now know i'm not a weirdo having house rabbits and treating them as i do:D

My first thread was about radish leaves!

Wish I had joined sooner - would have appreciated advice on bonding (my 3 live together fairly happily but if I'd had proper advice from here I'm sure things would be better between them).

I stalked Bensonlola from the RWA forum - I wanted to learn more about looking after my buns and to share them with like minded people (rather than boring my family with them constantly :lol:)

Health-wise I have learned soooooo much! There are some members on here who will always pass on their knowledge (even tho some people don't want to hear unpleasant things and react badly to it :roll:) -but I really appreciate those who share their wisdom :love:

I stalked Bensonlola from the RWA forum - I wanted to learn more about looking after my buns and to share them with like minded people (rather than boring my family with them constantly :lol:)

Health-wise I have learned soooooo much! There are some members on here who will always pass on their knowledge (even tho some people don't want to hear unpleasant things and react badly to it :roll:) -but I really appreciate those who share their wisdom :love:

You're scary :shock:

I think there are a lot of very selfless people on here

I find its a great research place if you have a problem. It was fantastic when Honey had her hernia. I also love chatting about bunnies and seeing pictures. One of my favourite threads is the foraging drying thread and its been a valuable source of information.

You're scary :shock:

I think there are a lot of very selfless people on here

:lol::lol::lol:

Well the RWA forum isn't very lively, and I saw on there that someone had recommended to her that RU is a forum with a lot more chat, so I sneakily followed here over here :lol:

I discovered it a few years ago in a panic when Poppy had an impaction and I just browsed and read about herbal tea - it saved her life.

A year or two later I came back as it was recommended by a friend on FB, and I discovered I was already a member and had forgotten all about it! :shock::oops::lol:

I'm glad you started this thread. :wave:

I come on here because I want to talk about rabbits - I literally enjoy "rabbit chat." I could talk about them all day. There are no people in my life I can do this with apart from on RU. Sometimes it'll be health related, sometimes behaviour related, and sometimes I simply just want to tell people about my buns.

The problem I find with this *sometimes* is that when I do post on here or ask a question, it is often assumed that I am somehow clueless or ignorant about rabbits simply because I am "asking" rather than "doing!" I like to talk about it - just like when I have an emotional problem I like to chat to my friends about it over a cup of tea!

People's reasons for asking questions are so varied: - to get a general consesus on something, to get a diverse range of opinions, to see if someone else has experienced something similar. Sometimes I can start a playful thread with an enquiring angle about rabbits and it somehow turns into an issue! I just don't understand how it happens! :lol:

I'm glad you started this thread. :wave:

I come on here because I want to talk about rabbits - I literally enjoy "rabbit chat." I could talk about them all day. There are no people in my life I can do this with apart from on RU. Sometimes it'll be health related, sometimes behaviour related, and sometimes I simply just want to tell people about my buns.

The problem I find with this *sometimes* is that when I do post on here or ask a question, it is often assumed that I am somehow clueless or ignorant about rabbits simply because I am "asking" rather than "doing!" I like to talk about it - just like when I have an emotional problem I like to chat to my friends about it over a cup of tea!

People's reasons for asking questions are so varied: - to get a general consesus on something, to get a diverse range of opinions, to see if someone else has experienced something similar. Sometimes I can start a playful thread with an enquiring angle about rabbits and it somehow turns into an issue! I just don't understand how it happens! :lol:

I think its often safer to assume someone knows nothing than to get too technical and scare someone off but then you have the opposite issue so I guess its catch 22.

I guess the 'debates' will happen anywhere where there are so many different people with differnt opinions and ideas

I know the feeling candiflare!
Mind you, I'm guilty of it myself I think. :oops: For instance if someone asks about rabbits being kept on their own I might say about neutering and bonding but then go and tell them what sort of size housing a pair would need even though that wasn't actually their question and they may well be totally clued up on hutch sizes.

I've noticed a similar thing with a lot of health threads. Someone might be fully intending to take their bun to the vet (or have already taken their bun to the vet) and all they'll get is "take it to a vet", nobody actually shares their experiences or offers any other advice. It's not always the case, but quite a bit.

Exactly! I don't think anyone has bad intentions at all, they're all good, but if my bunny has nibbled through something expensive and I've started a thread about it, it's just because I want to gas about it - not because I don't know what to do!

If my bunny isn't well, I just want to chat about it - I'm doing all the other things I need to do!

Back