• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sadly the baby rabbit died....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk_kayla

Mama Doe
...ive been hand rearing it for about 2/3 days.....every 4 hours feeding it as stated by vet....last night however i noticed blood coming from its bum area its not the first time...about 2 hours pria i also saw some blood (also when i tried to stimulate it to go toilet when i touched it it would wriggle and scream a little) ....it was to late to call the vets so i decided to wait till the morning....got up at 4am to feed the rabbit...and sadly it was dead....its so heart breaking....does anyone have any idea what it could have died from???

really???...im scared i dont somthing wrong and thats why it died...i had a feeling when i went to feed it...something just told me it was dead.

little bunnies die easily, especially hand reared ones that aren't very well. you did all you could. don't blame yourself.

...ive been hand rearing it for about 2/3 days.....every 4 hours feeding it as stated by vet....last night however i noticed blood coming from its bum area its not the first time...about 2 hours pria i also saw some blood (also when i tried to stimulate it to go toilet when i touched it it would wriggle and scream a little) ....it was to late to call the vets so i decided to wait till the morning....got up at 4am to feed the rabbit...and sadly it was dead....its so heart breaking....does anyone have any idea what it could have died from???[/QUOTE]

I should imagine it died because of lack of adequate veterinary care, what do you mean that it was too late to call the vets?, all vets do a 24hour care service, all you had to do was ring them

...ive been hand rearing it for about 2/3 days.....every 4 hours feeding it as stated by vet....last night however i noticed blood coming from its bum area its not the first time...about 2 hours pria i also saw some blood (also when i tried to stimulate it to go toilet when i touched it it would wriggle and scream a little) ....it was to late to call the vets so i decided to wait till the morning....got up at 4am to feed the rabbit...and sadly it was dead....its so heart breaking....does anyone have any idea what it could have died from???[/QUOTE]

I should imagine it died because of lack of adequate veterinary care, what do you mean that it was too late to call the vets?, all vets do a 24hour care service, all you had to do was ring them

i noticed at about 2am it was bleeding. i happen to have a very young child and i dont drive so i would have had to drag her out of bed (should i mention shes suffering from a bad cold at the minute) and somehow get to the vets.
i was going to go as soon as it was morning. and i did call thevets at pets at home....but i dnt believe they do 24 hour care...as no one answered.
so dont start saying it becuase the lack of adequate veterinary care.

Unfortunately it needed to see a vet, and it did not get that care. That is why it died. :?

Baby rabbits go downhill even faster than adults. :( There is always a vet open 24/7. Maybe you should find your closest one and make a note of the number for any further emergencies. A cold wouldn't stop me taking my buns to the vet (nor has a chest infection and cracked rib, this week. Where there's a will, there's a way.)

Kits are very delicate, I'm sorry you lost it. Is it the only kit you were handrearing or are there others? I'd suggest a vet trip (or at least a phonecall), to make sure it's nothing serious for the others.

shes just a baby....and i assumed the rabbit would surviive. there are no others the mum killed 1....and the otha died shorly afta.
im sorry for being moody....but i dnt want to feel any more worst than i already do...its not nice nowing becoz of me a rabbit died :cry:

so sorry hunny you did your best and dont feel bad you havnt let the bunny down it is very very hard to hand rear and rare it ever works
good for you for trying hunny xxxxxxxx
and just ignore the others who are having a go and blaming you saying you should have taken it to the vet the vet would have put it down as hand rearing new born bunnies is a impossible task you did what you could which is more than most people and what some people dont understand is were people not miracle workers not everyone has transport at 2 am not everyone can drop everything at a blink of a eye especially people who have children and not everyone can afford £30 for a taxi at 2am well thats what it would cost us for a taxi to the vet at that time probably more :?
you did your best and you should not blame your self
{{hugs}}
ann x

Last edited:
just ignore the others who are having a go

I agree you did your best so don't beat yourself up and feel bad, its hard not having transport with young kids and on your own, (if you are) I am so I know that. You couldn't have trailed a poorly small child to the vets with you at 2am in this weather :love:

So sorry the wee one died but as others have said you did your best and i agree it wouldn't have been ideal to drag your young ill child out of bed at 2am especially when you had no transport. You did your best for the bunny and other people have said how hard it is to hand rear them x

thank you.....im glad some people agree that i done the best i could.
its still sad...i was so sure it would survive.
but what will be will be.....

Just a thought. If mum ate the others maybe it was because all the kits were not 100% animals know these things. Perhaps it was just not to be. A friend of mine tried to hand rear a puppy because mum abandoned it. It turned out the puppy had a cleft pallet and had to be put to sleep anyway.
bobsII-1.gif

IMG_0198-1.gif

Kayla - is there any chance that the mum could be pregnant again? When was she last with the boy?

Just a thought. If mum ate the others maybe it was because all the kits were not 100% animals know these things. Perhaps it was just not to be. A friend of mine tried to hand rear a puppy because mum abandoned it. It turned out the puppy had a cleft pallet and had to be put to sleep anyway.
bobsII-1.gif

IMG_0198-1.gif

i agree, rabbits and other animals know when a baby is ill or not right and they deal with it by killing them or removing them from nest, so maybe it didnt matter what you did the baby wasnt well :( but it was nice that you tried :)

It is your responsibility to get an animal veterinary care if it is suffering, you didn't, I don't care what the excuses are because as far as I am concerned there are no excuses

Call a vet and if it's out of hours and you can't get there then request a home visit, simple

At the end of the day, if an animal - any animal, needed a vet and and any owner didnt take them to one, and the animal died, that is obviously going to be a contributing factor.

Theres no point saying "I did the best I could" Because the best would have been finding out a vet that offered emergency services and contacting them. The baby most likely wouldnt have made it, because they are so small and fragile, so just learn from experience.

But in my opinion, the best any person can do regarding any animal that needs care is take it to a vet, when they require it.

I am sorry you lost the baby, and I am not having a go at you, i am just saying that you cant say you did everything you possibly could - when everything would include vet treatment.

I don't believe people should be so nasty to poor Kayla at the moment. Hand rearing is an almost impossible task and no vet treatment could have saved such a small bun.
I've been advised by my vet when Pumpkin had her kits that if any seemed to go downhill quickly, next to nothing could be done for them. It's hard enough for vets to do their best for adult buns as their bodies are so fragile and complex.
Kayla has managed to help her other doe bring up her kits just fine and that means she is doing right by them. Unfortunately, the kits were an accidental litter and if 2 had already died and the mother rejected the other, I very much doubt the kit would have lived. If the kit was bleeding, the vet would struggle to do anything for it. It's difficult to save any newborn animal, never mind a poor little bun.

Kayla, you tried your best. Maybe you couldn't get an emergency vet but these things happen. At least now you can concentrate on the other buns and know to look for a vet who does do 24 hour care.

Well done for trying hun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back