• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anybody help?

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
I am sorry this is SO long.
The situation I am in with Nahla is really getting me down.
She is very afraid of people, and despite having her since August and working with her every day I seem to have made only tiny baby steps in progress.

She will now hop happily around my room, flop out in front of me and eat from my hand. She will occasionally approach me if I sit quietly on the floor...
But that is about it. She will sometimes accept nose rubs but you can tell she is terrified so I try not to do it.. I don't want to frighten her:(

My other rabbit Benji is a confident and loving snuggle bun, and I hoped to get him neutered and Nahla spayed and bond them together.. both for the health benefits and also to try and bring N out of her shell. However I'm worried my plans may have to change.

I have no concerns about Nahla's spay. She is young and healthy and appears to have no problems. Benji on the other hand is five, and normally I would have no concerns... but recently I have noticed that when he is stressed or nervous, he makes a squeaking sort of sound. I was worried it was snuffles so took him to the vet (I now see a rabbit savvy lady) Who told me he had no problems with his chest but when he is stressed his breathing does definitely change...

I feel like it's totally my fault, as up until recently he was kept on shavings... I didn't know any better... and I'm so worried about losing him under GA that I don't want to get him neutered for my own selfish reasons:cry:
He is so happy as a single bun anyway, he sees me as his bonded friend and so I am so tempted not to go through with it.. but that leaves Nahla alone:cry:

So what do I do? My options are:
1. Neuter them both and hope for the best, before trying to bond them together.. but risk losing Benji and Nahla being left alone anyway:(
2. Get N done, leaving B as he is (happy/content) and try and find N a neutered husbun. (I would permanently attach the largest run I have to Nahla's 5x3 hutch, and move the entire thing onto either the patio or the decking)

What do you think?:?

If youre really worried about Benji and hes happy being a single bun Id go with option 2. Get Nahla done and find her another husbun. A nervous bun like that needs the company of another bun or they will get lonely.
Oh and btw I think youre making good progress with Nahla, dont lose heart. My Mimi was mistreated before she was put into a rescie and I adopted her and as a result is very scared of human hands. She sounds exactly the same as Nahla and has been so for nearly a year now, despite my best efforts to win her trust. Ive come to accept she'll never be a snuggler like my other 2 . The main thing is shes not scared in my presence and will hang out with me, flop nearby etc like Nahla which is a great achievement :)

I think you have made your mind up already. It sounds as if your heart is with option 2.
I'm no expert, but I would tend to lean towards option 2 as well. If B is happy as he is, why try to change it? You might be able to get a nice neutered rescue bun to befriend N.

Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted :)

Have you discussed neutering Benji with your vet? Only he really knows how his health is and can tell you how much the risks are.

I know some people have neutered 5 year old rabbits but tbh I would probably feel the same and have concerns.
It depends if you think Benji is happy, I think. Ogbog is happy on his own so I'm not in a rush to get him a friend at all. Although my situation is slightly different as Ogs has been previously bonded.

I'd go with option 2. :)

Also, some rabbits are naturally more scatty than others. Delly was friendly but was just on the go all the time that she just wasn't a cuddle or strokey bun. Oggie is more of a laid back bunny and can be more nervy so I just have to warn people to not be too loud or frightening.

Thankyou both for your advice Gemmapookie and Wondergirl, I truly appreciate it.
Benji and Nahla would be perfect for eachother, I just know it. But whilst B is happy and healthy in all other respects I just feel as though it would be cruel to him and to myself to risk it:cry: I couldn't bear to lose him when potentially he still has so many more years to live:cry:
It's such a shame, I had so many plans for them. However, I think I will still consult my vet:?

I really want to go with option 2. It is all a matter of convincing my parents though that another rabbit is the right thing to do... they are both dead set against having any more pets:( I just spoke to my mum about it and burst into tears, and she said that I need "serious help". They just don't understand how much the rabbits mean to me. I can't bear to think that Nahla is lonely, or that my company isn't enough for Benji:cry::cry:

Schuette, yes I have spoken to the vet, she thinks I should just go for it despite the risks, but as his owner I panic about the risks much more than she would.
And MopsyMops, if I had an option three it would most definitely be to move Ben inside like Oggie is:(

Last edited:
Its a really tough call and only you can decide hun :(
If your vet thinks its worth the risk tgen maybe you should go ahead with it. As hes a boy the operation is fortunately alot quicker and less invasive than if he was a girl. And your vet is rabbit savvy, knows Benjis history and would be keeping a very close eye on his breathing during the op :) So in all those respects and the fact that your parents wont allow you another bun as a companion for Nahla, kind of make me think its worth doing now :?
Sorry Ive not been much help have I :oops::lol:
If I were you I would wait until Spring when its warmer to make the final decision. That way you have the whole of winter to think hard about it and also bond with Nahla yourself abit more. Is there anyway they can be housed next to eachother in the meantime? X

Its a really tough call and only you can decide hun :(
If your vet thinks its worth the risk tgen maybe you should go ahead with it. As hes a boy the operation is fortunately alot quicker and less invasive than if he was a girl. And your vet is rabbit savvy, knows Benjis history and would be keeping a very close eye on his breathing during the op :) So in all those respects and the fact that your parents wont allow you another bun as a companion for Nahla, kind of make me think its worth doing now :?
Sorry Ive not been much help have I :oops::lol:
If I were you I would wait until Spring when its warmer to make the final decision. That way you have the whole of winter to think hard about it and also bond with Nahla yourself abit more. Is there anyway they can be housed next to eachother in the meantime? X

You ARE right, my vet knows what's best and I'll be consulting her again son for more advice... I think maybe if I sit down with my parents and have a serious talk then I may be able to convince them that if all goes wrong, getting another bunny really is the right way to go.
I was going to wait until spring anyway:)
And yes they've been housed next to eachother the whole time:) It's only recently that they've been housed above/below eachother, but they can still see eachother when they go out in the run every day:) x

You ARE right, my vet knows what's best and I'll be consulting her again son for more advice... I think maybe if I sit down with my parents and have a serious talk then I may be able to convince them that if all goes wrong, getting another bunny really is the right way to go.
I was going to wait until spring anyway:)
And yes they've been housed next to eachother the whole time:) It's only recently that they've been housed above/below eachother, but they can still see eachother when they go out in the run every day:) x

Great :thumb:
Ok so have a chat with your vet and your parents and see what your options are come spring. You may find B's chest problems improve with the warmer weather *crosses fingers* :D:wave:

I'm having similar issues with Lois. She was mistreated and passed to five different homes in her short life :( She was terrified of people and would run away whenever you approached her, stamping her feet (she has only all mighty thump!).

I got her in August and very very slowly she is coming round, to be honest though she made Leo who was very tame change in personality and he too started running away and thumping whenever they saw me.

I'm still struggling with them both but today they both ran up to me when I came up to the cage and took food off me. It made me so happy that all my efforts are paying off.

Stick with it, it's so rewarding when they finally start trusting you :love:

I'm having similar issues with Lois. She was mistreated and passed to five different homes in her short life :( She was terrified of people and would run away whenever you approached her, stamping her feet (she has only all mighty thump!).

I got her in August and very very slowly she is coming round, to be honest though she made Leo who was very tame change in personality and he too started running away and thumping whenever they saw me.

I'm still struggling with them both but today they both ran up to me when I came up to the cage and took food off me. It made me so happy that all my efforts are paying off.

Stick with it, it's so rewarding when they finally start trusting you :love:

Aww poor little Lois having a rubbish start in life!:(
At leasrt she's happy now:love:

Definately consult your vet before making any decisions, it would depend how bad his breathing is as to whether he is high risk or not. Lots of buns his age have been neutered without problems so I wouldnt let that put you off

If you are thinking about a third bun you need to think about the extra costs, can you afford an extra lot of food vaccs potential unexpected bills etc? (not saying you cant just think about it) Also have you planned the accomodation out? Will you get a rescue to bond or do it yourslef? If you do it yourslef what happens if it doesnt work out?

Sorry to sound like the bearer of gloom but they are all important questions :D

Definately consult your vet before making any decisions, it would depend how bad his breathing is as to whether he is high risk or not. Lots of buns his age have been neutered without problems so I wouldnt let that put you off

If you are thinking about a third bun you need to think about the extra costs, can you afford an extra lot of food vaccs potential unexpected bills etc? (not saying you cant just think about it) Also have you planned the accomodation out? Will you get a rescue to bond or do it yourslef? If you do it yourslef what happens if it doesnt work out?

Sorry to sound like the bearer of gloom but they are all important questions :D

No I appreciate it and they are all questions I have thought about:)

Personally, if my vet said that he was healthy and ok to neuter, I would go ahead and get both neutered and attempt to bond them afterwards. 5 isn't old for a bun to go through a GA if they are otherwise healthy, and a male neuter is a simple op.

I'm sure Benji is perfectly happy and bonded to you but...I do also think it is very easy to attribute human emotions to bunnies and there is a possibility that the behaiour you translate as being a strong bond with you could actually be the result of sexual frustration and a general longing for company, both of which could be solved by neutering and bonding him with a friend of his own species. That's not to say that he's not happy now of course, because I'm sure he is :)

It definitely sounds as if your little girl would benefit from bonding either to him or to another bun though - my Mavis was a terrified little bundle of fluff and she's really come out of her shell since bonding with Dudley, so I do think it really helps them get over those final hurdles if they are bonded with a confident bun.

Good luck with whatever you decide xxx

Last edited:
Personally, if my vet said that he was healthy and ok to neuter, I would go ahead and get both neutered and attempt to bond them afterwards. 5 isn't old for a bun to go through a GA if they are otherwise healthy, and a male neuter is a simple op.

I'm sure Benji is perfectly happy and bonded to you but...I do also think it is very easy to attribute human emotions to bunnies and there is a possibility that the behaiour you translate as being a strong bond with you could actually be the result of sexual frustration and a general longing for company, both of which could be solved by neutering and bonding him with a friend of his own species. That's not to say that he's not happy now of course, because I'm sure he is :)

It definitely sounds as if your little girl would benefit from bonding either to him or to another bun though - my Mavis was a terrified little bundle of fluff and she's really come out of her shell since bonding with Dudley, so I do think it really helps them get over those final hurdles if they are bonded with a confident bun.

Good luck with whatever you decide xxx

Thankyou and I do agree with what you've said:D
He's definitely very affectionate with me, grooming and snuggling etc, but I'd love to see him like that with another rabbit, which is why I want to get him neutered.
I'm going to talk to my vet about it again definitely, and if she thinks it's the right thing to do then I will have to leave it in her hands..
It would definitely be easier than getting a third rabbit, but I will find a way to do that if I HAVE to.
But for now, I will just see what the vet says:) xx

Hi Chloe :wave:

I'm sure benji would be fine :) I know how much you worry I have had the same concerns in the past.

I do agree with Santa about the being 'happy' part. You can't make him happy Like his in kind can, no matter how hard you try.

Bless you for thinking about your bunnies welfare etc.

Hugs.

Gray

Hi Chloe :wave:

I'm sure benji would be fine :) I know how much you worry I have had the same concerns in the past.

I do agree with Santa about the being 'happy' part. You can't make him happy Like his in kind can, no matter how hard you try.

Bless you for thinking about your bunnies welfare etc.

Hugs.

Gray

Thankyou, I hope you're right and that Benji will be fine.
I'm now just worried that.. what happens if they don't bond? I'll still be left with two lone bunnies..
Sometimes I think they'd be much better off with someone older than me (I'm 16) or at least someone whose parents aren't completely useless when it comes to rabbits. They won't let me have the accomodation I want, they don't understand how much they mean to me or how they need the company of other rabbits.. eugh:(

But anyway, sorry for the ramble there... and thankyou for the reassurance x

I would defiantly consult your vet before you make the final desision. RE Nahla's fear, When we adopted Barty he was petrified of people and would hide whenever anyone went near the run :cry: 2 years on and he still HATES being picked up but will tolerate a small amount of stroking but no nose rubs! If you've only had Nahla since August it may still take her a while to trust you for stokes etc..

Whatever you decide, Good Luck! x

Back