• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril Dosage? ( Once every 12 hours)

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I'm giving 0.8ml in one dose, rather than 0.4 ml for a 2kg bun daily. This is because doing antibiotics twice daily proves very stressful for my buns.

Is it more effective to give in one dose rather than 2 smaller doses. Are there any risks involved when it comes to giving the full dose of antibiotics at one time?

Thanks

Last edited:
I dont know for definate, so can only speak of my experience, but i have given abx both daily and twice daily. My Vet has told me that it can actually be more effective with the once daily option.

I dont know for definate, so can only speak of my experience, but i have given abx both daily and twice daily. My Vet has told me that it can actually be more effective with the once daily option.

Thanks alot. Just wanted confirmation I'm not hurting her by doing this.

In general it is better to give ORAL Baytril every 12 hours. However, if the stress this causes the Rabbit is severe then a compromise may be necessary.
Could you not request Baytril injections ? They only require a once daily dose.

In general it is better to give ORAL Baytril every 12 hours. However, if the stress this causes the Rabbit is severe then a compromise may be necessary.
Could you not request Baytril injections ? They only require a once daily dose.

Thanks Jane, Can this be done from home?

That would be at the discretion of your Vet :)

I'll have a word and see what they say. They are down the road so its' not far when there is no snow, but we are snowed in again today.

I think i have finally got a method that works. I'm definately finding the buns prefer it in one dose rather than 2. They can cope with 0.8ml too fine when they get started.

Back