• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many buns can i fit (Maximum) in a 6x8 shed?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
How many buns can i fit in a shed this big please?

I was thinking if i put hutches in- i could go upto about 5 foot in height.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Depends what you are going to do for exercise. If it's going to be their run too then you could only fit two groups in there, one on the ground floor and one on the upper floor. If there are going to be exercise areas outside then you could put huches down the sides of the shed leaving a walkway from the door to the back of the shed free. That would allow you to have four 6x2 hutches, ground floor on the left, one on top of that on the left and the same on the right.

If you are planning on putting 6 x 2 foot hutches into a 6 x 8 shed you will only get the 6 foot hutch down the 8 foot side of the hutch as sheds are measured by their external dimensions.

Having hutches down both sides will give you a 2 foot walk way ... this would make it difficult to open the hutch doors, therefore this will have an impact for you when you clean out the hutches and for people to view the rabbits.

Depends what you are going to do for exercise. If it's going to be their run too then you could only fit two groups in there, one on the ground floor and one on the upper floor. If there are going to be exercise areas outside then you could put hutchs down the sides of the shed leaving a walkway from the door to the back of the shed free. That would allow you to have four 6x2 hutches, ground floor on the left, one on top of that on the left and the same on the right.

There is a window on the left as you go in the door. The left wall is 8ft. The back wall is 6ft. These are internal measurements as i went out and measured up myself - i think it's actually 6.5 foot inside on the back wall.

---------------------6.5ft back wall-----------------------------
.................................shelving here about 5ft high............

8ft............................................................................8ft
left hand..............................................................right hand side
side wall...................................................................wall

............................Main height about 6ft here or more...................

window
here
.............................................................................horse waterer here

------------------Door Here 6.5ft entrance wall------------

On the right hand side wall there is a built in horse waterer. So it's only really 7ft along the right wall that i could get a hutch in. The window is not all the way across it's just where the "here" bit is. It's about 2-3ft maybe.

The height is 6ft or slightly above , but there is a shelf about five foot up at the back wall which is about a foot wide.

I can do either for exercise, as I've got space outside to put runs. I'm just wondering what would be most effective i guess.
I think the best place would be the right wall for a hutch and the back wall so that the window lets the light in.

I'm thinking bunnny to be happy actually need a 12ft by 6ft area. I've just expanded my bunnys play area and they were binking about all over last night. I will get a bigger space for rescues eventually in April as i can put my own shed up of any size.

My shed layout didn't come out right when i submitted. opps.

Last edited:
If you are planning on putting 6 x 2 foot hutches into a 6 x 8 shed you will only get the 6 foot hutch down the 8 foot side of the hutch as sheds are measured by their external dimensions.

Having hutches down both sides will give you a 2 foot walk way ... this would make it difficult to open the hutch doors, therefore this will have an impact for you when you clean out the hutches and for people to view the rabbits.

These are the internal dimensions- there is slightly more room than 6ft across. The 8ft walls i'd only really be able to put 6-7ft hutches along too.

I wonder if one down the back wall and one down the right hand side wall would work, leaving the left wall free and the front entrance. Hmm thinking about it, it would block part of the 6ft hutch at the back. Perhaps a triple 6x2down either the 8ft or 6ft side would be better.

If you are looking at a triple stack of hutches which are two foot per hutch you will need to check that the sides of the shed will be tall enough to accomodate them. The other problem you may have is getting a triple stack in through the door of the shed as most doors are not 6 foot hight.

You will have access problems to the shed if you put one along the back wall and one down the side. With hutch overlaps you may find that you will not get both of them in either.

I currently have a 6x8 shed and I have 3 hutches in there. I can't see how I could get any more in without it being cramped.

I have a triple storey hutch which had to be built in the shed.

I currently have a 6x8 shed and I have 3 hutches in there. I can't see how I could get any more in without it being cramped.

I have a triple storey hutch which had to be built in the shed.

Thanks - how many buns do you have in there?

Usually 6, the hutches are 8ft long so I could potentially have 9 but we hardly ever have trio's in as they are so difficuly to rehome. Although I do have 5 baby bunnies in the one at the moment, and 4 babies in another.

The hutches do have divides in to make 6x 4ft hutches, I have found them invaluble in emergencies ie. if I have had a pair of bunnies come in that have started to fight.

I have 3 hutches in mine each with a single bun, it also has a walk in run attached which is probably bigger than the shed, each bun has free time during the day, with access to the run and their own hutch. Two of the rabbits are going to be bonded together soon.

If you are looking for examples of rescue accommodation, you would be better visiting one or two rescues near to you:D

This is Kirkby pet welfares Kennel block:D
Kennelblock026.jpg

Interior
Kennelblock027.jpg

Kennelblock002.jpg

Kennelblock018.jpg

It has 6 hutches down each side each with access through a cat flap to a small outside run:D

Back