• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For the first time the water bowls froze during the day!

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
:shock::shock::shock:

I overslept this morning and didn't do the buns until 8.00, and typically (despite the forecast saying it wouldn't be freezing last night) the water bowls and bottles had frozen solid, whereas usually they only freeze on the top.

So I changed them all, put warm water in......when I went out to clean them at 11am they had all frozen again :shock: Despite the hard winter I haven't had the bottles/bowls freeze during the day before....

Luckily they haven't frozen this afternoon or evening.

I do feel for those of you further north who have been putting up with this for weeks now - I feel very lucky to live in the south!

It's been a real pain. Not too bad here though this weekend, which is a good job, as I can barely stand I've been so poorly and o/h is no better!

I overslept this morning and didn't do the buns until 8.00, and typically (despite the forecast saying it wouldn't be freezing last night) the water bowls and bottles had frozen solid, whereas usually they only freeze on the top.

So I changed them all, put warm water in......when I went out to clean them at 11am they had all frozen again :shock: Despite the hard winter I haven't had the bottles/bowls freeze during the day before....

I do feel for those of you further north who have been putting up with this for weeks now - I feel very lucky to live in the south!

Welcome to my world as of the last couple of weeks!!!! Thaw here though - makes such a difference - mentally (you know how I stress over my buns) and physically!!

Hope this was just a one off for ya!

Welcome to my world as of the last couple of weeks!!!! Thaw here though - makes such a difference - mentally (you know how I stress over my buns) and physically!!

Hope this was just a one off for ya!

I wouldn't have minded, but the forecast said it wouldn't go below freezing :roll:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/PhysFAQ/General/hot_water.html

I googled this. I think it's saying that it doesn't happen all the time and conditions need to be in a certain way before warm water will freeze first. If anyone else can understand this (I'm just a humble P3 teacher - we're still learning the months of the year!!) maybe they can explain it to the rest of us simple folk!!! :lol:

I just change the water and don't question the mighty mysteries of nature. Bloomin nuisance though! Raining here tonight so I think I can risk a long lie until at least 6am tomorrow. :D

Not suprised! Luckily ours are in the garage until the shed arrives but it was -11 here last night. All the outside taps have frozen here and we've had to carry cannisters of water across the yard for the horses :shock: The ground has two inches of glassy ice on still.... makes for an interesting trip!

Not suprised! Luckily ours are in the garage until the shed arrives but it was -11 here last night. All the outside taps have frozen here and we've had to carry cannisters of water across the yard for the horses :shock: The ground has two inches of glassy ice on still.... makes for an interesting trip!

That's worse that what I've been experiencing - you win. (mental note never to get a horse).

Im changing mine 2/3 times a day with it freezing ..
Bit of a pain but you get used 2 it lol :)

Back