• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with trios/groups

how do you manage things?

For example, logistics when just one bun needs to see the vet?
What about when one bun in the group needs to be admitted, do they unbond?

I would be interested to hear of situations where having a group can be a bit tricky, as i am thinking of having a 3rd bun, now i have enough money and bits and bobs to extend my setup.

Also, how much space do 3 buns require? (2 nethies and a lion lop). I believe 36sqft minimum is the accepted size for 2, correct me if i am wrong.

I have 2 boys and a girl living together. If one needs the vet which Mischief does every month for his teeth, I just take him. :) There's no re-bonding involved. :) I have taken the boys away from Tink for about 5 hours at the most, they all are in such a strong bond it doesn't matter! :wave:

I'll be bonding my buns soon, so I'll have a trio. When 1 bun needs to go to the vet I'll only bring the one unless I suspect the bond will break.

I have a bonded group of 6. I just take the one usually when they need to go to the vets and when Tin Tin needed an op the other week I needed to keep him inside overnight so I brought them all in to make sure that the bond was not damaged!!

I have a bonded group of 6. I just take the one usually when they need to go to the vets and when Tin Tin needed an op the other week I needed to keep him inside overnight so I brought them all in to make sure that the bond was not damaged!!

Thank you. The thought had crossed my mind; what if i need to check poo output. Would a aivary panel in the shed be ok to divide off a temporary section?

I think 48sq ft is about minimum for many rescues (6x2 hutch + 6x6 run), although a lot I've heard of on here will accept 36.

I have 3 buns (1 frenchie and 2 nethie x rex) in an 8x6 shed with an 8x8 run and it's a nice space for them but I don't think 3 need much more space than 2 tbh.

We've only had to take ours to the vet for regular jabs but we took them all together.
Ours bonded very easily so I don't think we'd have a hard time re-bonding if we had to take one out for a while but you never know.

I think 48sq ft is about minimum for many rescues (6x2 hutch + 6x6 run), although a lot I've heard of on here will accept 36.

I have 3 buns (1 frenchie and 2 nethie x rex) in an 8x6 shed with an 8x8 run and it's a nice space for them but I don't think 3 need much more space than 2 tbh.

We've only had to take ours to the vet for regular jabs but we took them all together.
Ours bonded very easily so I don't think we'd have a hard time re-bonding if we had to take one out for a while but you never know.

Thanks for this, just what i wanted to know

I have a group of 4 golden oldie buns living together. I have a set of 3 free range buns.

Vets bills you just deal with them.

Its not the vet bills that im worried about, its the possibility of them unbonding.

Anyone have any advice on bonding a single bun to a bonded male/famale pair?

Im wondering what the best way to do it is. My 2 are currently indoors and will be going back out in summer. The single bun will need speying, so she will go in the hutch and run untill shes spayed. Then i was planning on buying a shed for them all to go in once bonded.

For example, logistics when just one bun needs to see the vet? I generally take the ill rabbit plus a friend
What about when one bun in the group needs to be admitted, do they unbond? I havent had this in the past with the group but when Evie had her leg stitchedup Albert went with her and was there when she came round from GA

I would be interested to hear of situations where having a group can be a bit tricky, as i am thinking of having a 3rd bun, now i have enough money and bits and bobs to extend my setup. If you need to take them all to the vets carrying 4 in one carrier can be hard work on the arms

Also, how much space do 3 buns require? (2 nethies and a lion lop). I believe 36sqft minimum is the accepted size for 2, correct me if i am wrong. It would partly depend on the rescue some would say a 6 x 2 hutch with attached 6x4 run would be ok some would want bigger. Personally for that many I think a shed/wendyhouse/kennel would be better. It also makes cleaning out easier especially in this weather

I was very lucky and i wouldnt recommend what i done. I rescued a bunny but didnt have a free hutch so i knew my 2 buns were great with any other bunnies, so i let them run around the garden and put them in the hutch. They love each other noe. They are 1 male and two females:D

I :love: having a group its fab.

I was very lucky and i wouldnt recommend what i done. I rescued a bunny but didnt have a free hutch so i knew my 2 buns were great with any other bunnies, so i let them run around the garden and put them in the hutch. They love each other noe. They are 1 male and two females:D

I :love: having a group its fab.

I wouldnt get another bun if i didnt have space for her should the bond not work.

For example, logistics when just one bun needs to see the vet? I generally take the ill rabbit plus a friend
What about when one bun in the group needs to be admitted, do they unbond? I havent had this in the past with the group but when Evie had her leg stitchedup Albert went with her and was there when she came round from GA

I would be interested to hear of situations where having a group can be a bit tricky, as i am thinking of having a 3rd bun, now i have enough money and bits and bobs to extend my setup. If you need to take them all to the vets carrying 4 in one carrier can be hard work on the arms

Also, how much space do 3 buns require? (2 nethies and a lion lop). I believe 36sqft minimum is the accepted size for 2, correct me if i am wrong. It would partly depend on the rescue some would say a 6 x 2 hutch with attached 6x4 run would be ok some would want bigger. Personally for that many I think a shed/wendyhouse/kennel would be better. It also makes cleaning out easier especially in this weather

Thanks for that. I plan on getting a 6x4 shed and attaching a 6x4 run. they cant have free range in my garden, but when i am home, i can extend their space with pens.

If the bond doesnt work, then i will have the single bun as a house rabbit or let them live side by side while they get used to eachother.

Ive never bonded a a pair and a single before, im a little apprehensive about this, but want to try on my own. Marley and Dolly pretty much bonded themselves :)

Last edited:
I now have a threesome, after having a foursome, I just take the one to the vets, and they have a 6x5ft wendy house with two levels and a 6x8ft run

I wouldnt get another bun if i didnt have space for her should the bond not work.

Thanks for that. I plan on getting a 6x4 shed and attaching a 6x4 run. they cant have free range in my garden, but when i am home, i can extend their space with pens.

If the bond doesnt work, then i will have the single bun as a house rabbit or let them live side by side while they get used to eachother.

Ive never bonded a a pair and a single before, im a little apprehensive about this, but want to try on my own. Marley and Dolly pretty much bonded themselves :)

Sounds like a great plan :)

Sounds like a great plan :)

Im glad you think so, i do worry wether i give them enough space sometimes. Im deffo going to get a shed, wether i get a 3rd bun or not. Im just looking into my options as i dont want to rush into anything and then realise ive overlooked something.

Im glad you think so, i do worry wether i give them enough space sometimes. Im deffo going to get a shed, wether i get a 3rd bun or not. Im just looking into my options as i dont want to rush into anything and then realise ive overlooked something.

My lot used to have the same sized set up plus approx 5-10 hours free range time a day and still dug out into next door and made me feel like I didnt do a good enough job :D

Make sure you offer them lot of toys, cardboard boxes, branches etc to keep them interested - if nothing else it helps stop you worrying if you're doing all you can :D

My lot used to have the same sized set up plus approx 5-10 hours free range time a day and still dug out into next door and made me feel like I didnt do a good enough job :D

Make sure you offer them lot of toys, cardboard boxes, branches etc to keep them interested - if nothing else it helps stop you worrying if you're doing all you can :D

Sophia's buns have more toys that toys r us!!! Lol

If the vet visit is just going to be a quick one then i will just take the bun who needs to be seen. If one bun for instance has an op and needs to be brought inside then i will bring the others in too - just to decrease the risk of the bond being broken.

I have a trio in something almost identical to what you are hoping to do - 6"4 Shed with an adjoining 6"5 run. (they are a crossbreed, mini rex and a mini lop) and they seem to enjoy it in there. WE have two shelves in it that my hubby built, with a mesh/wood panel over the front to stop the buns trying to leap off :lol: If you want any pictures i could probably try and find some just so you can see the size with the buns in it etc :)

If the vet visit is just going to be a quick one then i will just take the bun who needs to be seen. If one bun for instance has an op and needs to be brought inside then i will bring the others in too - just to decrease the risk of the bond being broken.

I have a trio in something almost identical to what you are hoping to do - 6"4 Shed with an adjoining 6"5 run. (they are a crossbreed, mini rex and a mini lop) and they seem to enjoy it in there. WE have two shelves in it that my hubby built, with a mesh/wood panel over the front to stop the buns trying to leap off :lol: If you want any pictures i could probably try and find some just so you can see the size with the buns in it etc :)

Ive got a pretty good idea of size, my dad has a 6x8 shed, so the whole thing will take up that amount of space. Marley & Dolly are currently binkying around my room and they also have that amount of space too :)

I would be interested to know how to make a mesh door so i can leave the main one open during the day. Im not sure how to attach it though.

Last edited:
Back