• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i or shouldnt i?

shadow05

Mama Doe
right this morning my rabbit had a bit of a poorly belly and he sort of had runny poo, but it looks like hes okay now hes eating loads of hay and seems really hungry and hes been acting his usual self. i dont know if i should give him anything.

okay its just that he gets really grumpy when u dont feed him. so far he hasnt bothered but tmmorow i think hell kick up a fuss.

right this morning my rabbit had a bit of a poorly belly and he sort of had runny poo, but it looks like hes okay now hes eating loads of hay and seems really hungry and hes been acting his usual self. i dont know if i should give him anything.

Just hay, hay and more hay and plenty of fresh water. If he's not a big hay eater then he may need his pellets too in the normal portion. I would not give him any veg for a few days until everything has cleared up completely and he's had a few days of no upset tum. What you describe are malformed caecotrophs and are caused by a sudden and acute dysbiosis which can have many triggers. If the problem continues or comes back he will need to see a vet to rule out underlying health issues before assuming it is diet related.

I saw on your other thread about rice etc. ALL cereals are high in starch, and will only exacerbate his problem. Hay is the key to clearing it up quickly, nothing else unless you use a short-term probiotic such as Protexin fibreplex available from your vet or online.

Just hay, hay and more hay and plenty of fresh water. If he's not a big hay eater then he may need his pellets too in the normal portion. I would not give him any veg for a few days until everything has cleared up completely and he's had a few days of no upset tum. What you describe are malformed caecotrophs and are caused by a sudden and acute dysbiosis which can have many triggers. If the problem continues or comes back he will need to see a vet to rule out underlying health issues before assuming it is diet related.

I saw on your other thread about rice etc. ALL cereals are high in starch, and will only exacerbate his problem. Hay is the key to clearing it up quickly, nothing else unless you use a short-term probiotic such as Protexin fibreplex available from your vet or online.

right so i can give him his food but only if hes not eating hay. thanks for the advice and ill keep him away from veg and stuff for a while.

right so i can give him his food but only if hes not eating hay. thanks for the advice and ill keep him away from veg and stuff for a while.

I really would try hay only. But if the only hay you have is the stuff Scooter doesn't like then he will need his pellet ration as normal, however, the more hay he eats the more likely he is to feel much better much more quickly. :)

I agree with PrettyLupin, keep him on just hay for a few days and avoid veg and pellets until the problem has sorted irself out :wave:

I really would try hay only. But if the only hay you have is the stuff Scooter doesn't like then he will need his pellet ration as normal, however, the more hay he eats the more likely he is to feel much better much more quickly. :)

he is still eating his hay for the moment.

so ill leave him with that for the moment but if he decided hes not going to eat it then ill give him some pellets.

hes even been eating the hay he doesnt like so thats a bonus for me. i thought id just use it to line his litter tray with along with the wood shavings so that at least it wouldnt go to waist he likes laying there.

he is still eating his hay for the moment.

so ill leave him with that for the moment but if he decided hes not going to eat it then ill give him some pellets.

hes even been eating the hay he doesnt like so thats a bonus for me. i thought id just use it to line his litter tray with along with the wood shavings so that at least it wouldnt go to waist he likes laying there.

Personally, I wouldn't use the woodshavings at all and just line his tray with hay in future. You might find he eats more then because buns, being lovely creatures, like to eat and poo at the same time. I line mine with newspaper and hay and they often go in after their pellets and just sit and have a good chew and morning poo. Probably talking about the weather!

Personally, I wouldn't use the woodshavings at all and just line his tray with hay in future. You might find he eats more then because buns, being lovely creatures, like to eat and poo at the same time. I line mine with newspaper and hay and they often go in after their pellets and just sit and have a good chew and morning poo. Probably talking about the weather!

lol i would use just hay but the smell bothers my mom so i use hay and woodshavings cause it soaks it up better and the hay covers the smell, some reason it works. i would use newspaper but knowing him hed have a go at the newspaper he looks messing things up. little devil :evil:

Have you tried Scooter with megazorb? It is much safer than shavings for bunnies and is VERY good at absorbing wee and smells. :wave:

Or you could try the compressed wood pellets for litter, I get mine from P@H but I think it's available cheaper.

lol i would use just hay but the smell bothers my mom so i use hay and woodshavings cause it soaks it up better and the hay covers the smell, some reason it works. i would use newspaper but knowing him hed have a go at the newspaper he looks messing things up. little devil :evil:

It might be worth you just trying newspaper in the base, covered by hay. I use it to line the hutch and the litter trays. Funnily enough one of mine sometimes attacks the paper in the hutch, but never that in the litter trays. Just worth a try, as it is so much better than the woodshavings.

Have you tried Scooter with megazorb? It is much safer than shavings for bunnies and is VERY good at absorbing wee and smells. :wave:

i would but i have no clue wat it looks like and were to get it from.

im sure he would just get confused. he did with the wood litter when he was little, he also thought it was good to eat as well :roll:. i think he didnt know that he was suppose to be peeing in the litter tray instead of everywhere else.

it took me ages to get him litter trained and im surprised he even did that. i noticed as he got older that he only stuck to one end of the cage to pee on and i filled a litter tray up with wood shavings and tried im again, i poped it the cage and hes peed in it ever since. the only other time hes never weed in his litter tray was when there was hay on the floor.

It might be worth you just trying newspaper in the base, covered by hay. I use it to line the hutch and the litter trays. Funnily enough one of mine sometimes attacks the paper in the hutch, but never that in the litter trays. Just worth a try, as it is so much better than the woodshavings.

i would try but im very certian hed eat it like with everything else lol he such a pain this rabbit :evil: cant wiat until hes done and his hormones calm down.

i can actually see him being quite a nice bunny when hes been done, i know the nice behavours there its just under all the hormones. :)

Back