• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PLEASE HELP: What is this noise?

Marley is eating his hay, and hes making a squeaking/coughing/sneezing sound. I cant really describe it its like the funny noise you get when your blowing your nose and it squeaks. If that makes sense? :s

Hes stopped now, but he does this very occasionally and is fine afterwards, although im panicing at what to do when he is doing it. Hes still sat munching hay. Does anyone know what it could be?

:shock::?

Tilly does this occasionally, but always seems ok afterwards. Think it may be a sort of sneeze?, perhaps something gone up their nose and caused irritation.

It could be his teeth squeaking, they do sometimes, or it could be that because he is eating he is having to breathe a bit harder and as a result you are aware of a slightly inflammed upper respiratory tract i.e. the early stages of snuffles.
If he continues to do it everytime he eats anything, after running around or develops any other symptoms such as a runny nose/eyes then he will need to see a vet.

He may also have aspirated some dust up his nose or a hay seed. You will need to watch him for any other symptoms closely and if in doubt pop him to the vet for a check up.

Could be the start of snuffles as it sounds very similar to how two of mine sound.
Both are on treatment for it, one of them permanently.

Sometimes if Wolfie is annoyed, he sort of sneezes. Gloria used to sigh if she was cross. It might be just one of those little bunny noises that they make and you have just noticed.

Keep an eye on it and check how he is generally and if you are worried, take him for a check up.

Sometimes if Wolfie is annoyed, he sort of sneezes. Gloria used to sigh if she was cross. It might be just one of those little bunny noises that they make and you have just noticed.

Keep an eye on it and check how he is generally and if you are worried, take him for a check up.

He does this, but its a different noise. Ill keep my eye on it, were at the vets in a few weeks anyway, if it doesnt get any worse, ill give it a mention at our next apointment.

What causes snuffles?

He does this, but its a different noise. Ill keep my eye on it, were at the vets in a few weeks anyway, if it doesnt get any worse, ill give it a mention at our next apointment.

What causes snuffles?

Bacteria already present in the upper respiratory tract breaking through the mucosal barrier and bun's immunity to cause inflammation and infection. It normally occurs when bun is immuno-suppressed or overloaded by a certain bacterial colony in their upper airways.

Bacteria already present in the upper respiratory tract breaking through the mucosal barrier and bun's immunity to cause inflammation and infection. It normally occurs when bun is immuno-suppressed or overloaded by a certain bacterial colony in their upper airways.

Thanks :) Ill keep an eye on them both, as i know its contagious. If i see symptoms, do i seperate straight away or wait until ive seen a vet? Hes not immuno supressed.

Thanks :) Ill keep an eye on them both, as i know its contagious. If i see symptoms, do i seperate straight away or wait until ive seen a vet? Hes not immuno supressed.

You do not need to separate a bonded pair if one develops snuffles at all. The bacteria are carried by most rabbits asymptomatically at all times anyway and a bunny with a robust immune system will be quite able to continue to ward off any infection despite having an bonded partner with a snuffles infection.

You do not need to separate a bonded pair if one develops snuffles at all. The bacteria are carried by most rabbits asymptomatically at all times anyway and a bunny with a robust immune system will be quite able to continue to ward off any infection despite having an bonded partner with a snuffles infection.

ohhh, :? now im confused. I just read that its highly contagious :shock:

ohhh, :? now im confused. I just read that its highly contagious :shock:

What is?
There are hundreds of different bacteria that can invade the mucosa and cause an infection, just like they can in us.
What is highly contagious? Pasturella? Strep, Staph A, MRSA? for example.... all can cause an URTI and often it will be a combination of bacterial invasion responsbile anyway. We, us humans, all carry Strep and Staph on our skin, in our mouths, up our noses etc... it doesn't make us highly contagious beings! :)

matt makes this noise, i couldn't describe it for ages, and kept saying it's like if you squeak your finger on some glass, then someone described it as if you rub a balloon, and that was a better description! it's like a squeak/sneeze/cough/quack! it's strange. matt does it and he has an upper respiratory problem.

It's only contagious if you are immuno suppressed yourself. If a healthy bun is bonded to a poorly bun there is absolutely no guarantee that the healthy bun will go on to develop the same respiratory infection. Healthy bun may already be carrying 'said' bacteria in it's airways anyway. :):wave:

What is?
There are hundreds of different bacteria that can invade the mucosa and cause an infection, just like they can in us.
What is highly contagious? Pasturella? Strep, Staph A, MRSA? for example.... all can cause an URTI and often it will be a combination of bacterial invasion responsbile anyway. We, us humans, all carry Strep and Staph on our skin, in our mouths, up our noses etc... it doesn't make us highly contagious beings! :)

:lol:

OK ill ignore the article, it didnt say what, it was generally referring to "snuffles" and not one specific bacteria.

It's only contagious if you are immuno suppressed yourself. If a healthy bun is bonded to a poorly bun there is absolutely no guarantee that the healthy bun will go on to develop the same respiratory infection. Healthy bun may already be carrying 'said' bacteria in it's airways anyway. :):wave:

Sorry if i sound like a ditz, but when you say if you are immuno supressed yourself, were you referring to a bonded partener or us humans? :oops: :?

Im immuno supressed, its not zoonotic, is it?

:lol:

OK ill ignore the article, it didnt say what, it was generally referring to "snuffles" and not one specific bacteria.

Well in a sense it is correct - the article. But snuffles is just a group name for upper respiratory tract infections the invading pathogen can be literally anything. Infectious status depends on the pathogen type itself, the immunity of the host and disease pattern, rarely are two alike anyway. Yes, from a clinical point of view any bacterial infection is 'contagious' yet there is no guarantee that a healthy bun will contract it just as we are constantly surrounded by bacteria in our daily lives but don't all get sick immediately. I also worry greatly that the stress of separation for a poorly bun will only exacerbate their immunity or lack of and make bunny more ill. Of course, if you have a particularly virulent bacterial strain such as MRSA causing the URTI then yes you might want to think about quarantine from other animals OR even separation in extreme cases, but it is likely that the partner bun will already be carrying it asymptomatically anyway because the poorly bun will have had had it before showing signs of illness in the first place. This is just my personal view on URTI's and if in doubt you should take advice from your vet. :)

Sorry if i sound like a ditz, but when you say if you are immuno supressed yourself, were you referring to a bonded partener or us humans? :oops: :?

Im immuno supressed, its not zoonotic, is it?

I was talking about the other rabbit.

As far as humans are concerned it depends on what the 'it' is.

I was talking about the other rabbit.

As far as humans are concerned it depends on what the 'it' is.

:thumb: im fully prepared now :) ...if he has snuffles that is.

Ill keep an eye on him and see how he goes and give it a mention in January. If I need to see the vet before then ill see if they can find out what bug it is, mum insists on making me ask the vet "can i catch it?" whenever theres something wrong with the buns :roll:...even if i know i cant, and i had to ask if i could catch syphilis off them! :oops::lol:

...Oh i forgot to ask, im going down to london to stay in hospital for a few days around the 10th. Will they be ok to have their jabs a month early? I might just take him for a check up before i go and get their jabs done at the same time. If something happens while im away, i dont think dad will notice untill he becomes really ill, and i cant see dad giving him meds.

Jabs early is fine, but the decision as to whether or not your potential 'snuffles' buns is fit for a jab is up to your vet.

As for your health, if you are immuno-suppressed then yes it will very much depend on what the colonising bacteria are, a c+s test before antibiotics are prescribed will tell you, however getting a high swab from the nose of a bunny is tricky and often requires sedation/GA for bunny. So i'm not sure entirely what you want to do about that. Meanwhile I would exercise strict hygiene yourself in washing your hands after handling your rabbits and their stuff, there is some potential for cross-species transmission for some bacteria.

Back