• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Earl keeps coughing / squeaking / choking..

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
He has been sneezing since monday 20th december.

On Wednesday 22nd he started making a squeaky cough noise after eating... but it didnt hinder his eating or drinking. Regardless i made an emergency appointment for Earl to go to the vets within the hour..

Now me and ex (who im stuck living with) are going through a nasty break up....... and he took him to the vets....

He returned saying "Earl has a cold" and explained that they had given him anti biotic injection and a 1 week course of baytril....

I just fed him and he is doing it again.... it doesnt seem to bother him but it stops him in his track again...

before anyone says... i know i should have called the vet and asked them to explain what was up with Earl fully cus ex was being a tw*t but because of christmas and the fact i hadnt heard the noise again.. it just got forgotten.....

Now tonight he has made the noise about 4 times .....

his teeth have been looked at and he has no nasal discharge, eyes are clear, no matted paws, strong appetite and healthy toilet motions.... no weight loss....

any ideas??

oh and i havent had any new air fresheners etc..... the only thing i can think is that it is the cold... but Earl is a house rabbit... my house is draughty but its never less that 13/14oC....

thanks

Jemma

I read on another thread that squeaking is a sign of snuffles. :?
I hope Earl gets well soon xxx

:wave: my bun has the suffles too... baytril ussally is not effective is what i have heard or if it is its needs to be given for about a month! .. I have done alot of researching and asking and it seems the snuffles is more of a condition rather then a one off illness, he may need a different antibiotic but every rabbit is different, its about keeping them stable rather then curing but it can be done and they can live a happy life :) casper is a squeaker too, has not discharge and eating well but its because its on his chest.. which is the worst place but he is a fighter! if you need any help PM i dont know much but casper has had it 3 weeks now and making slow progress ill be happy to share with you :)

Last edited:
:wave: my bun has the suffles too... baytril ussally is not effective is what i have heard or if it is its needs to be given for about a month! .. I have done alot of researching and asking and it seems the snuffles is more of a condition rather then a one off illness, he may need a different antibiotic but every rabbit is different, if you need any help PM i dont know much but casper has had it 3 weeks now and making slow progress ill be happy to share with you :)

oh right... that can be spread cant it... cus i heard noodle choke on her food the other day and i think she was just being greedy tho.....

Is it life threatening or serious?? Will it get worse? and What are the consequences?

Thanks

If he has a respiratory infection it may take a few more days for the antibiotics to work.

oh right... that can be spread cant it... cus i heard noodle choke on her food the other day and i think she was just being greedy tho.....

Is it life threatening or serious?? Will it get worse? and What are the consequences?

Thanks

it can be life threatening but you have caught it and with the right treatment they can live happily! It can get worse and get better you just need to find the right treatment for your bun.. i have a nebuliser on the way for casper :) the consequences.. it does damage there chest each time but its about keeping the snuffles stable..and i know alot of buns that live a happy life, they say ts contagous but alot of people have different views.. i reckon if your other bun is healthy and immune system is ok she should be fine, although i got poppy checked just incase but she has been with casper 3 weeks now and she is ok :)

he has just ran out.. il monitor him and try get him in on the 27th December..

o no! they did not give you enough for over christmas?? iv been putting casper in a steamy room for a little while untill his nebuliser arrives maybe that will ease him

:wave: my bun has the suffles too... baytril ussally is not effective is what i have heard or if it is its needs to be given for about a month! .. I have done alot of researching and asking and it seems the snuffles is more of a condition rather then a one off illness, he may need a different antibiotic but every rabbit is different, its about keeping them stable rather then curing but it can be done and they can live a happy life :) casper is a squeaker too, has not discharge and eating well but its because its on his chest.. which is the worst place but he is a fighter! if you need any help PM i dont know much but casper has had it 3 weeks now and making slow progress ill be happy to share with you :)

Just thought I'd say what a helpful post.

I've had 2 rabbits doing this just lately both have been on a 2 week course of Zithromax and cleared up in no time with no return, might be worth mentioning to your vets.

Widget also has snuffles. She was on Septrin for a week but the vet said her lungs were clearer after the course and advised not to treat her further, even though I hadn't seen any major improvement in the amount of snuffling. But She seems okay in herself so I'm taking his advice and not pushing for further treatment at the moment. Hope that is the right thing to do. :?

Widget also has snuffles. She was on Septrin for a week but the vet said her lungs were clearer after the course and advised not to treat her further, even though I hadn't seen any major improvement in the amount of snuffling. But She seems okay in herself so I'm taking his advice and not pushing for further treatment at the moment. Hope that is the right thing to do. :?

I have the same situation with BB.

She was on Engemycin and a capsule that I can't remember the name of (like a decongestant).
Her course has finished but I'm not happy that she doesn't sound back to normal, so I'm taking her back to the vets for a longer course and/or an alternative drug.

only just seen this jemma. sorry to hear that earl is under the weather - hope his abx sort him out soon.

sorry to hear about your other probs too:(

xxx

Last year my bunny Mallow had the same. We took her to the vets and the baytril etc wasnt strong enough. If there is no improvement in a few days (it can take a while for things to start working) i would go back and see if you can get something stronger.

Back