• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Breeding Does?

what do you mean by breeding?
do you mean pregnant or with a nest of kits or have been used to breed in the past? or none of these

Does that are to be used for breeding but not pregnant at the time. Surely if two does were together and the pregnant female was removed (or the other female more likely i assume?) before giving birth it would be similar to being in the wild where she would leave to have her kits anyway? Or would the remaining female become stressed because he only bonded companion had apparently disappeared?

:lol:Sorry, lots of questions!

Does that are to be used for breeding but not pregnant at the time. Surely if two does were together and the pregnant female was removed (or the other female more likely i assume?) before giving birth it would be similar to being in the wild where she would leave to have her kits anyway? Or would the remaining female become stressed because he only bonded companion had apparently disappeared?

:lol:Sorry, lots of questions!

In the wild the ladies only go and see their young once or twice a day. They build them a separate burrow and the rest of the time are with their own warren, so its not like being in the wild. Its no different from separating a bonded pair, but fraught with issues like hormones.

Personally i think does are harder to bond than boys anyway let alone hormonal unspayed ones my advice to anyone in that situation would be to get them both spayed and then try bonding

In the wild the ladies only go and see their young once or twice a day. They build them a separate burrow and the rest of the time are with their own warren, so its not like being in the wild. Its no different from separating a bonded pair, but fraught with issues like hormones.

Had been thinking about it for ages - when we went to get Pie, we had a look at some of her lops and conti's too. They had a fair few pairs of does but still bred from them, so was just interested to see what people thought :)

I think you have to remember that not all owners are doing what's best for their bunnies. Its not something I would ever recommend to anyone.

ETA- sorry if that came out blunt or patronising. Not sure how else to word it, but was meant as neither.

Some breeds will happily be paired, neutered or not (I strongly reccomend neutering though, I've had a rabbit badly injured after he was attacked by another male :( ). Mother and daughter combo's are more likely to work rather than just putting two unrelated doe's together

Thanks :) Not blunt or patronising at all - I'd not seen a breeding shed before so didnt know if it was the 'done' thing.

Thanks :) Not blunt or patronising at all - I'd not seen a breeding shed before so didnt know if it was the 'done' thing.

A friend of mine is taking up colony breeding, where you have a group of doe's that help raise each others litters. I've seen it done before too, when a rabbit pushed open the cage divider and instantly bonded with the rabbit next door, the older rabbit helped the pregnant one make the nest. A few people are keeping mothers with daughters too and having 'family colonys'.

Back