• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

another baby just died.

kk_kayla

Mama Doe
the baby looked like it wasnt going to survive...i was feeding it and it just died....
im scared that i might have killed it when i was feeding it....milk kept coming out of its nose.....
im not sure im hand rearing right....please can someone tell me how to do it properly. they didnt really tell me at pets at home
please i cant lose another one

It sounds as though the kit aspirated the milk (choked)

I really think you need to try to get the remaining Kit to latch on to Mum. Can you get someone to hold Mum for you whilst you put the Kit to a nipple ?

Hand rearing newborns is fraught with problems and the success rate is very poor :cry:

my bf wont help me...it hates rabbits...i have another rabbit that had babies around 11 days ago...should i try and see if she will feed it????
or will this not work??

Why are you handrearing? The advice was to try and help mu mfeed and if not, to foster them to your other mum.

she doesnt want them...ive tried....what if the other rabbit kills it....this one seems pretty strong...but her babies are alot bigger than it....how to i try and get the other mother to accept it as her own???

Why are you handrearing? The advice was to try and help mu mfeed and if not, to foster them to your other mum.

the mother rabbit had destroyed the nest and all babies were very cold, OP spoke to the vet who advised hand feeding :wave:

please someone i need help to know what i should do....i dont want to be responsible for killing another rabbit... im scared to feed it now

Thank you Georgey.

Handrearing is a last resort because the success rate is so low.

I would see if you can get the other mum to feed them.

Rummage your hands in the toilet of the other mum and then stroke them all over the babies, so that they smell of the other mum. Then put them in a nest (not her nest with her babies, but make another nest). Stand the other mum over the nest and feed her treats you know she tolerates, or anything she likes to eat. Watch carefully, but be relaxed. It may be that there is no option but to smother them in her urine and poo and put them in the nest with the bigger, older babies, but ideally they need a separate feed so see if you can do it that way first.

The survival rate for hand rearing very young babies is very low and fraught with problems. Many of us on here who have been involved with rescues over the years know this from first hand experience and this is why we are not recommending doing that.

As you have 2 mums who are lactating you can use either of them to feed the babies. You will need to get someone to hold one of the mothers for you so that you can place the baby on to a nipple and allow it to feed. Afterwards you will need to use some cotton wool on the babies genitals to stimulate it to pee and poo.

The survival rate for hand rearing very young babies is very low and fraught with problems. Many of us on here who have been involved with rescues over the years know this from first hand experience and this is why we are not recommending doing that.

As you have 2 mums who are lactating you can use either of them to feed the babies. You will need to get someone to hold one of the mothers for you so that you can place the baby on to a nipple and allow it to feed. Afterwards you will need to use some cotton wool on the babies genitals to stimulate it to pee and poo.

I'd just come back to edit all that in and you beat me to it. Awesome.

ok il have to get my dad to come round then...this is soo hard...my bf is sooo scared of my rabbits .... he never even touched them,...so hes not gunna pick them...so is it possible to do this....

ok il have to get my dad to come round then...this is soo hard...my bf is sooo scared of my rabbits .... he never even touched them,...so hes not gunna pick them...so is it possible to do this....

Woudl you boyfriend hold the baby if you held one of the mums? He could wear gloves ;)

another baby just died

Hand rearing really is hard:cry:it,s best to try to get the other mummy bunny to feed this little one:)while mum is out of the nest (giveher some food to keep her busy)put the new baby in with her own ones:)make sure that you rub the nest material on to the new one so that it smells the same as her babies:)then let them snuggle up together and they should all get fed:)the only worry is that as this one is smaller it may get pushed out when they are feeding so you could try holding your mummy bun very gently and placing the baby on her teat so that it can feed:)she will probably struggle for a while but expect this:)when the baby has a nice full round belly then you can put it back with the others:)hope this helps:)

I wish i could help you but i haven't had this kind of experience poor things it must be so hard and stressful for you too. . Good luck x

I've no experience of this, but you can only do your best. Good luck, it sounds like you are trying really hard. Hope the other mum will take to the babies :)

You poor thing!! You must be so stressed!:cry:

No advice sorry but I just wanted to send some vibes... xxx

i have to make misty feed one of her kits as its smaller than the others and maybe not getting a look in while i'm not in the room so i hold misty and put the bubba on her teat and he/she feeds until the tummy is nice and round x

I wish you every bit of luck. Me and OH had to try and hand rear a hamster once and it was the hardest thing ever. The poor mite didnt survive. I sooo wish you every bit of love and luck with this. You are obviously trying your best. xxxx

I don't know how confident you are with picking them up/how happy she is to be handled but you maybe able to do it yourself by placing the mum on a table or on your lap with her back to your chest then using one hand to lift her chest slightly and the other to hold the baby in place. You can try either mum.

i tried putting the rabbit in the cage with the other mum...i left it in there after rubbing her scentr on it..went back few hours later she hasnt fed him..but was eating the nest id made....i took him out and fed him and hes got lots of energy and a full belly now. i think ill have to do the hand rearing. ill be damn if i'll let him die on me.....ill put everything i have into his survival. thank you everyone :)

Back