• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

standard practice for dental buns?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I posted a question about 2 weeks ago wondering how I'll recognise whether Rosie (who has already had quite a lot of work done on her teeth) needs another dental.

Well today I went down to see her and she had a *tiny* bit of blood on her lip and she was tooth grinding but not in the good way. I looked in her mouth and could see a very small amount of blood and when she was running about there was a whistling sound coming from her. She's normally not very vocal but now she seems to be noisier. I don't know if it's because she's in pain or it's her teeth?

Anyway I took her to the vets today and they said yes she'll need another dental and they have booked her in for first thing on the 27th. As she is still eating, drinking and pooing normally we decided it could wait until 27th and in the meantime they have given me metacam to keep her comfortable and said I should come back if she stops eating.

Does this sound reasonable?

Last edited:
If she's on pain relief and eating then she should hopefully be ok, but I'm sure you will be keeping a close eye on here anyway.

Blackie started showing dental symptoms on a Saturday afternoon, and we phoned the vets so that we could pick up Metacam as he was still bouncy and eating, and they were fine with that and booked him in for the dental on the following Monday, with the proviso that we called earlier if he seemed to be in pain/stopped eating.

Oh that's really helpful thank you.

Sometimes my vets are great, sometimes they'3e not so good, I just wanted to check it by other people's experiences.

This is what my vets do if the rabbit appears ok, or in a slightly dilapidated way; it means you get them into the best possible condition for the GA. However, sometimes my vets will act there and then or as an emergency.

If she deteriorates over Christmas then don't hesistate to contact them because they could do a dental on the days between now and the 27th, its obviously just going to require many out of hours staff.

Back