• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6 week old baby bunny

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
What are the implications of a bunny leaving it's Mom at 6 weeks? Will the babies health suffer?

It's actually very common for babies to leave mum at 6 weeks (Although a lot of people are leaving litters with mum for longer now), but if you take them away from mum and then rehome them straight away it can cause problems (Such as a weaker immune system), you should give them time to get used to life without mum, but keep them with their siblings and in the same hutch.

Harley came from a very irresponsible breeder who was giving away babies (to children, for free!) at 6 weeks old, to make room for another litter that had just been born :roll: He is the hardiest, healthiest rabbit I've ever met though.

Sorry, should have been clearer, rehomed at 6 weeks, not with Mom or siblings.

Well I definately wouldn't reccomend it, they're a lot more likely to have weaker immune systems. This dosen't mean all rabbits rehomed at 6 weeks are going to get poorly though, like I said Harley the bun I got at 6 weeks has never had a single health problem, and he's certainly undergone quite a lot of diet changes and stress.

From what I've read on here and elsewhere it is certainly not ideal, but in some cases necessary. I can think of four buns I've seen on here who went to new homes at less than the normal 8 weeks and as far as I know they all thrived.

Sky-O would be an expert on it, in comparison, as she has the litter before Ginger's.

But Ginger's mum died when Ginger was ~3-4 weeks i think. Ginger and her sister had milk from a foster mum, but Sky-O's bunnys didnt so she had to help them out herself.

Ginger has a not great immune system, poor muscle strength and is under weight for her age.

Her balance is also poor.

She may have slightly poor thermo regulation apparently according to my vet and suffers from a constantly sneezy nose.

My kits were just over 4 weeks on when mum died they weaned by them selves . . They are ok i let experienced lady take one too and he is fine. . I wound wait till about 8 weeks my other 2 are not going till then x

Its likely the immune system would be very stressed and the rabbit would likely be very vulnerable to any problems and depending if it went by itself, maybe struggle socially.

*Whispers* Gray, Ginger was 8 days old.

Back