• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Bonding 2 into 3

Kipper

Mama Doe
As you may have read on Rainbow Bridge my beloved Rosiekins passed away leaving behind her lonely & confused husbun Teddykins (hes the little lop in my signature):(

Well Im going to try bonding him in with Munchkin & Pipkin. Now normally I put out loads of their favourite veggies & hays to give them something else to focus on & discourage fighting. However Teddy cant have much if any veggies as he suffers from excess ceacs (plus I think hes too lazy to eat them esp at night)

Anyone have any other suggestions as to what I can use instead of veggies to help the bonding process? :?

Im off work now until the 4th Jan so for me this is the perfect time to bond & Teddy is just sitting alone in his cage looking very miserable

Last edited:
Pipkin & Teddykins have just had a fight through the bars of his cage. weh I say fight what they actually did was stand up on their hind legs & scrabble with each other over the bars. Odes this mean any attempt at bonding is doomed for failure from the begining or could Teddy just be trying to protect his territory?

Bonding a 2 male 1 female trio is fraught with danger especially with a well established pair.
I would await some advice from the experts on here before even trying...
Perhaps a better alternative is finding another wifebun for Teddy..?

Fights through the bars are of no indication of whether or not they will bond because its based on territory. If its done on neutral territory, small space, etc, then that's the only way to tell if there is potential to bond.

the weird thing is Im expecting the trouble to come from the female. My male bun is so laid back & always has been. My experience with all my buns is that its been the females who have been most territorial & agressive

Fights through the bars are of no indication of whether or not they will bond because its based on territory. If its done on neutral territory, small space, etc, then that's the only way to tell if there is potential to bond.

Thanks thats what I was thinking too.

Bunnyhopper.. I have thought about getting another bun but was rather hoping to reduce my numbers down to 2 cages as all buns share my front room when out of their cages (not at the same time) so less pairs mean they will get more free range time. If Teddy wont be accepted into either pair then I will look to find him another Mrs as he hates being by himself

the weird thing is Im expecting the trouble to come from the female. My male bun is so laid back & always has been. My experience with all my buns is that its been the females who have been most territorial & agressive

I'm the same. My male/male pairings were the easiest. Its always been my females causing the chaos. Just goes to show how unpredictable bunnies are.

Plenty of hay can be a good distraction when bonding buns, I always pile it in.

I'd be very interested in the responses to this thread too as I'm going to be bonding my 3, which will mean Alice has to join Velcro and Josie!

anything through the bars I wouldnt take much notice off, its his terratory and he is protecting it.

Try a neutral space, free of any smells, and just put them together and see how it goes, i think it will be fine. I bonded Jelly into domino and pebbles when Peanut died, they have their occaisonal disagreements but are happy together :D

Thanks Im going to start bonding in the next couple of hours, still cant quite decide which pair to bond him with.

Munch is 7 is is my very laid back male & hes paired with Pipkin a very feisty 3year old female. You may remember SJ that it was my intention to bond Lucky in with them. Munch was happy with Lucky in fact I think he preferred her but Pipkin bit Lucky quite badly on the nose & poor Lucky didnt even fight back so I stopped trying to bond them

Lucky & Pumpkin are both 3. Pumpkin (male) is the dominant bun they bonded really easily. Id like to increase their cage size & whomever Teddy bonds with will get a bigger cage. Lucky is quite a big bun whereas Munch, Pip (dutch) & Pumpkin (mini rex) are all about the same size

Its hard to say how dominant Teddy thinks he is as Rosie was the boss while she was healthy all I know is that hes desperate for bunny company

Well Im going to have to decide soon, anyone else have an opinion :?

Back