• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please someone help!!!

kk_kayla

Mama Doe
on tuesday nightaround 9:30rubie had her babies....
ive been a bit concerned about them for the past couple of day as their nest isnt that big and she walks all over them....today when i got back from xmas shopping i went upstairs and check on her rabbits....2 were in the nest and i couldnt find the other one anywhere....i search and evertually found it...i though it was dead is was sooo cold and just hudled up next to litter tray....i picked it up and wrapped it in my blanket for a minute but it was still freezing so i put it back in the nest to try and get warm.....also none of the rabbits have been fed yet...they still have little shriveled tummies.....im very very concerned. her sister had babies 9 days before her and has been a great mum....shes not stomped on them and shes made them a big nest....what should i do?????

I would say tuck it in your bra and help it warm up, and then when it has, pop it back.

The mum may take 24-48 hours to feed because it takes a while for the milk to come in, so that's not a huge issue, but you can change and adjust the nest by jgently tugging fur from mum's nipple line and also stuffing loads of hay around that she can use to make a nest.

If she doesn't feed them potentially you can foster them to the other mum but do thst tomorrow at the earliest. It will be risky, but may be their best shot if she isn't mum material.

ive put it back in already...its still pretty cold though...im so worried...she hasnt made her nest in the corner but smack back in the middle of the hutch....shes not bothered really at all....i was putting food in her cage and she ran on top of her babies to get to it...and then she has also run on top of them more than once......i know not evrey rabbit is the same...but when i compare her to zebie...shes sooo different mother wise.....she was going really crazy yesterday aswell.....all i could hear was her scratching everything and running around stomping her feet...

i just have a really bad feeling about the whole thing...i wasnt like this with zebie really...but ive just got such bad vibes

Rabbits can get dragged out the nest when they feed and have no way to get back in. Breeders usually use nestboxes with sides the mum can hop over but babies can't fall out. You could try to add some sides with cardboard if you can do that with disturbing them too much.

I'd be concerned that the mum hasn't fed already. If they were born at 9.30pm that means she's had two nights to feed them. How handleable is mum? Can you take a look and see if she has any milk?

If she does and isn't feeding you can try holding her in a sitting position and placing the babies noses next to a nipple one at a time and they should feed. If she doesn't have an milk then you can do the same with the other doe or try placing the babies at the bottom of her babies nest and they'll hopefully absorb the scent and get fed too.

ive not had her long really about 2 months max...so i took a while for her to trust me enough to stoke her...so ive only picked her a handle full of times and shes not really happy about it....will she not mind the fact that im going to be handling her babies??

Sorry! I've gotten my days in a muddle. I've been thinking we are Wednesday all day. I agree with Tamsin about being concerned.

I would try and encourage her to feed. Can you hold her over the nest? Or even hold each kit to a nipple and see what happens?

Also, depending what cage she is in, I would suggest attaching a heatpad underneath to help them keep warm.

they are in double hutch...pets at home one....rubies at the bottom and cant get access to top.....the hutch is in my spare room...and the heater is on!
im going to see if i can pick her up to check her milk

Back