• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spoke to the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoeLou

Warren Scout
Ok i spoke to the vet and he says it was most defiantly something contagious. And they is nothing he can give them to prevent them getting it. . As it will already be in their system, so now i just have to pray and have some vibes off you guys. . George my mini lop is a different breed and its unlikely he as it. . I will keep you all updated :oops:

did the vet say what it could poosibly be, as george even though a different breed, if its something contagous he could still be at risk :cry: soo sorry your going though this

What Jane said beginning with a C. We are burning the cages we have been out and bought George a new cage for inside now he is loving it x

What Jane said beginning with a C. We are burning the cages we have been out and bought George a new cage for inside now he is loving it x

Coccidia is transmissable breed to breed because they are genetically the same (also with the European wild rabbits- AKA our wild rabbit). there is medicine that can be given to ensure the rabbit is not dealing with it. If those were my vets, I might be starting to look elsewhere, and for recommendations from people on the forum.

Coccidia is transmissable breed to breed because they are genetically the same (also with the European wild rabbits- AKA our wild rabbit). there is medicine that can be given to ensure the rabbit is not dealing with it. If those were my vets, I might be starting to look elsewhere, and for recommendations from people on the forum.

Me, too. What about the kits?

I am only going by what my vet said. If the kits have it he said nothing could be done now its too late x

I am only going by what my vet said. If the kits have it he said nothing could be done now its too late x

Some vets are excellent with cats and dogs but are not au fait with bunnies, or don't keep up to date with bunny knowledge. Another vet may be much more competent and may potentially save their lives. I lost 5 rabbits to an incompetent vet practice before realising different vets have different strengths, and since switching to my current bunny we have only ever lost terminally ill rabbits, which no one can fix; although they helped give them a wonderful quality of life.

Isnt it worthwhile looking into other option for the sake of those two bunnies you have left? There is every chance they can live if it is Coccidia and they do have treatment before showing symptoms.

Some vets are excellent with cats and dogs but are not au fait with bunnies, or don't keep up to date with bunny knowledge. Another vet may be much more competent and may potentially save their lives. I lost 5 rabbits to an incompetent vet practice before realising different vets have different strengths, and since switching to my current bunny we have only ever lost terminally ill rabbits, which no one can fix; although they helped give them a wonderful quality of life.

Isnt it worthwhile looking into other option for the sake of those two bunnies you have left? There is every chance they can live if it is Coccidia and they do have treatment before showing symptoms.

Can only reiterate this. You may, yet, save them if you take this advice. Sky-O is very knowledgeable and I would definitely be guided by her. Don't think there's any time to be lost, though, this is very urgent.

Can only reiterate this. You may, yet, save them if you take this advice. Sky-O is very knowledgeable and I would definitely be guided by her. Don't think there's any time to be lost, though, this is very urgent.

Aw, thanks :) That's really nice :) Despite the fact I wrote

since switching to my current bunny we have only ever lost terminally ill rabbits

:lol:

If the Vet said that Coccidiosis is very likely then it is essential you inform the person you gave one of the kits to if they have other Rabbits. The Kit will have put ALL the persons other Rabbits at risk and she needs to contact her Vet without delay.

If the Vet said that Coccidiosis is very likely then it is essential you inform the person you gave one of the kits to if they have other Rabbits. The Kit will have put ALL the persons other Rabbits at risk and she needs to contact her Vet without delay.

Totally agree

I'm very sorry for your losses. Please take the steps suggested by Jane and Sky-O to ensure the other bunnies have the best possible chance of remaining well.

The first vet I found when I got my Daisy turned out to be next to useless with rabbits, although fantastic with my cats and dogs, and if it wasn't for people like Jane advising me to look elsewhere I may well have lost Daisy following his misdiagnosis.

My rabbit had coccidia at the RSPCA before adoption when he was about 3-4 months old. Young buns are extremely susceptible and kits are even more so. Despite treatment it took intensive nursing to save him on the part of the staff. He was the ONLY rabbit out of the entire kennel that survived the outbreak. It is extremely contagious and very dangerous for young rabbits but there IS treatment available to prevent and treat if infection is active or suspected.

If there is any possibility that coccidia is involved then please treat your remaining rabbits. Treatment is much more successful when given before rabbits are clinically unwell. It is cheap and only needs a few days of medication to solve the problem.
I would check back with your vet as to exactly what they feel is the problem and if they confirm suspected coccidia then treatment is definitely needed regardless of how well they appear at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back