• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Caecotroph Query

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Another thread just reminded me of something i've been meaning to ask. I forgot to ask my vet when i was there too :roll:

I keep seeing Ginger go for a caeco but each time, i've seen her with a faecal poop each time, partially eaten drop out of her mouth. It's like she got what she went for, but got a bonus poop at the same time!

She's never had a mucky bum, so i've never seen any of hers to tell if they are normally formed or not

Is this in any form normal, or something i should be concerned about?

If you never see any uneaten cecals from her then I doubt that there is a problem. Sir Victor does the same thing and always looks very pleased with himself afterwards !! :roll:

As long a her fecals are normal in size and quantity and she is not leaving uneaten cecals then it may just be 'her way'.

yes, perhaps you only see part of it, most probably the rest of the caeco' ve been eaten.. Occasionally I see similar behavior with Chloé :D

Another thread just reminded me of something i've been meaning to ask. I forgot to ask my vet when i was there too :roll:

I keep seeing Ginger go for a caeco but each time, i've seen her with a faecal poop each time, partially eaten drop out of her mouth. It's like she got what she went for, but got a bonus poop at the same time!

She's never had a mucky bum, so i've never seen any of hers to tell if they are normally formed or not

Is this in any form normal, or something i should be concerned about?

Sounds pretty normal to me. The reflex triggering the caecotroph requires it pass along the same portion of bowel as the normal droppings at the end of the colon so it's not surprising that sometimes there are normal poops in there on their way out too or following out afterwards.

As Jane says if bum is clean and no caecs are left lying around then all is well. :)

Yup, no excess caecs, no dirty bum, i was just curious, as Biccy doesnt do it, so hadn't seen it before :wave:

They just seem to 'drop' out of her mouth once she realises she has the wrong one! :lol:

Her faecals are 100% normal, quite large and very fibrous :)

never seen any of ours do that but about a month ago i did see duke do a caeco but he bit it in half dropped some to floor and munched what he had. then went back for the rest - was the first time id seen him not eat it all in one go and i havent seen him do it since

yup, both of mine do it sometimes too but what they spit out is more like part-chewed normal poop:mrgreen:

chocolate raisins anyone?

hehehehe - how obsessed are we with our rabbits doodies:lol:

Back