• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Freaking out Bunny for No apparent Reason

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Last night I was out in the shed visiting my bunnies and all of a sudden my bunny, Jack, started running around his pen as fast as he could in fright. It was quite scary because I was afraid he would hurt himself and then he set my other rabbit, Bill, off.

Both of them were thumping their feet and honking and very upset. I couldn't see anything at all that would have triggered this. It was very bizarre.

The only thing I noticed was that after they calmed down Jack was really frightened of a small hole in the wall in his side of the pen. He did that head bobbing and ears forward and would slowly crawl towards it (the hole). It was as though something about it had frightened him severely.

I went and got a very heavy rock and put it over the hole. He then went and very gingerly crept up to the rock and smelled it, bit it and seemed satisfied.

After that he calmed down quite a bit but I could tell he was still sketchy. He kept starring at that hole with his ears perked.

What on earth could it have been??? A rat?? mouse??

It scared the **** out of me.

I think your right to suspect rodents. Have a look outside where the hole comes in and see if you can see a worn trail to it. They may be coming in to try and steal the rabbits food.

I would think they are aware of something you aren't, likely by its smell, so I think you're right to be suspicious, but what of is a bit of an unknown.

The bunnies seem calm this morning for the most part. Jack still is a little nervous but we also having a wind storm so it could be from that.

Unfortuantely, I can't look outside where the hole is :( because the hole in the wall goes into the insulation in the wall and my neighbours yard is on the other side of the shed. So I can't go around and look at it properly. I suspect it is rodents stealing food though as you mentioned because I do remember thinking that Bill was eating his food rather quickly and i saw some pellets near that hole, That was when Bill was on Jack's side.

Hopefully now they can't come in as that is the only hole I could see and I covered it by a big rock. I never saw any rodent poops but I bet they came in and out so fast maybe none dropped! lol.

Poor bunnies :oops:

Back