• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Science Selective

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone get the huuuuge sacks? If so, i've got a few questions - how many KG's is it? How long does it last once opened? Can you keep it in the sack and do it up with pegs or does it need to go into airtight containers?

I really would appreciate the advice.

My local pet shop has sold out of the 1.5kg bags (i've a bag and a half left, so plenty) but i normally pay £3.99 but the sacks are just £20 and look better value for money - but i worry about the storage.

The other nearest stockist is in the city centre and a nightmare to get to from here.

My local pet shop will get the smaller bags in but i was wondering if a big sack would be more economical anyway.

:?

They're 10kg. If you clip up the bag as you have said then the stuff at the bottom should stay fresh.

I've got about 10 of the sacks in the garage at the moment, they're all 10kg and it's ages till they expire. I empty them into a black garden bin (the storage ones you get with a lid)

Thank you.

I actually thought it would make my trips to the pet shop less frequent - although i still shop for my hay there but at least i have other places to go for that.

I'm not sure if i have storage for a black bin - it would have to go out the back and i'd worry about it staying dry. I can keep the food sack in the cupboard under the stairs though.

The saving on buying the 10Kg bag is good - it works out the 1.5kg bags are £4 so i get 7.5Kg for £20 and the big bag is 10KG for £20 - it is a good saving (if i've got my maths right :oops: ) plus i'm freer to shop about for hay (hopefully using a livestock free store).

Thanks for the advice. :)

Back