• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving my buns over Xmas

AmyWoo

New Kit
At the last minute the person who was going to feed my rabbits has falled through and i am off to Spain for 4 days.

There is no one else to feed them so I had thought that i would leave plently of veg, hay and pellets for them but someone has told me that they will just keep eating and break their fragile little tums.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing or know what to do?

I had thought of getting one of those pet feeders that release food over time?

Thank you

Unfortunately bunnies don't understand "this food has to last you 4 days" so it is likely they will eat it all at once and make themselves ill, they have very sensitive stomachs, do you have a neighbour or relative who could feed and check on them?

Can you not put them into boarding?

They cant be left - they need fresh food everyday - food left out in this weather will freeze.

You really can't leave them for four days. For a start their water will probably freeze before you even get to the airport.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
There are always options but at this late stage you're going to have to pay.
House-sitter.
Someone to visit twice a day minimum to open up, feed, water and check and cover up at night.
Pet boarding - a few places take small animals though it might be tricky this late getting a space.

personally, and I know this is a bit drastic and possibly not an option for you - I WOULDN'T GO.

I really hope something is sorted out for these poor buns. Sounds like it was just going to be someone calling in to feed them anyway.

unless its a wind-up

4 days is too long im afraid - even 1 night is too long (at any time of year - summer or winter) :/ as other posters have said in this weather the water will freeze and yes they will just keep eating the food, they wont save it to last them.

id try and find some boarding but its going to cost you - but thats the price we pay for having such pleasure and enjoyment from our pets the rest of the year

Last edited:
Thank you for all your thoughts and advice.

They live inside the house so the freezing thing isn't an issue.

I shall have to think of something!!

Hiya, I was in the same boat, not Spain sadly just over to my Dads :lol: Anyhow, I am away for two nights and have booked mine into boarding. Give your vet a call and see if they know of anyone? Or Google, a quick search and I found this...

http://www.rabbitranch.co.uk/

Hope you get it sorted, its a defiante no to leave them.

Amy there are lots of boarding places in Bristol. I use Congesbury Small Animal Kennels as Keith and Jackie are absolutely fab but there are lots of others. Where in Bristol do you live?

Oh no I would never risk leaving my rabbits for 4 days. that is much too long. I'm worried about leaving mine for one night let alone 4 days. Please do not leave them alone. :(

I hope you manage to get something sorted for your buns.
Like everyone else has said, 4 days is way too long to leave your rabbits. Not only food wise, but if they got ill there would be no one around to get them to a vet.

I left my bunnies for an extra 2 hours today, so they got their lunch late and they nearly bit my ankles off when I finally got home to feed them...even though they'd had something for breakfast and had plenty of hay!

Back