• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've just been told U/D post 6 - help!

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
that there should be a limit on how much hay we should feed rabbits as it can "cause the runs and lead to a sickly rabbit" :shock:

Im right in thinking hay wouldn't cause "the runs" aren't I :?

Last edited:
:shock: i dont think this is true.....hay is the main staple diet of any rabbit - or grass.
I would think that certain types of hay - like alfalfa hay & also perhaps forages with dandelions etc in it would perhaps cause sticky bums.... but not plain dried hay.:?;)

I don't see how long strands of hay could cause the "runs"?! See as that long fibre holds the poop together!

Maybe some TYPES of hay, like alfafa, can cause problems, but I think that's garbage that it causes runs!

Who told you that?

I think the bunny mantra is hay hay and more hay! What do they eat in the wild? Fresh grass. Do they get the poops? No!

If the hay has a supplement or something sweeter, wetter or richer then I think it is a different story.

Who on earth said that? :shock: Sounds like they are getting confused with alfalfa hay. :?

anyone got some good links about the importance of hay and feeding up until the last moment before an operation please :wave:

thankyou again Jane :wave:
I have done what I can do, fingers crossed the OP's take my advice onboard rather than the breeders :?

Back