• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vestibular? Please send vibes :(

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Can anyone tell me what this is please?

The vet thinks adonia just had one. I just called the vets out as an emergency and as i'm stuck in snow today, to pick up her and the other poorly bunny i was supposed to be taking in today ava.

Adonia wasn't breathing well this morning, she was weak, her eyes were bulging and she could barely lift her head off the floor.

Any vibes would be appreciated for these two girls also. They are both in quite a bad way today.

I'm quite devastated seeing these two little girls like this :(

Thankyou.

Head tilt can be caused by a huge variety of things, so don't instantly presume EC.

E. Cuniculi is transmitted by urine, and can be transmitted from the mother at birth, or even through the umbilcal line, and also from any other bunnies with active spores in their urine.

Is her head tilted to one side?

Bulging eyes and lethargy can be a sign of respiratory distress btw...don't know if that's a possibility?

Head tilt can be caused by a huge variety of things, so don't instantly presume EC.

E. Cuniculi is transmitted by urine, and can be transmitted from the mother at birth, or even through the umbilcal line, and also from any other bunnies with active spores in their urine.

She has been a solo bunny indoors for four years, with no other contact with bunnys. She has active pasturella at the moment too.

Is her head tilted to one side?

Bulging eyes and lethargy can be a sign of respiratory distress btw...don't know if that's a possibility?

No she is spayed out on the floor- not able to lift her head. Her eyes are bulging. She is weak in her body, very lethargic. Can hardly hold herself up.

She has been a solo bunny indoors for four years, with no other contact with bunnys. She has active pasturella at the moment too.

But at some point she will have had contact with other rabbits, such as her mum and possibly litter mates. Most rabbits carry EC without showing active signs, but it can become active when the immune system is repressed, which tallies with what you said about pastuerella, that said, the pastuerella could potentially be causing an inner ear infection, or similar.

Yes it's maybe just flared up and causing more distress than normal. Thankyou for the information about EC. I've not had experience with it before.

I thought she was nearly dead hardly breathing or moving on the floor, but I'm not sure if the vets thought it was that serious. They are giving me lapizole and antibiotics i believe.

She seems to be struggling to breath though badly.

Yes it's maybe just flared up and causing more distress than normal. Thankyou for the information about EC. I've not had experience with it before.

I thought she was nearly dead hardly breathing or moving on the floor, but I'm not sure if the vets thought it was that serious. They are giving me lapizole and antibiotics i believe.

She seems to be struggling to breath though badly.

Is she with the Vet now though. I am a bit confused as to whether the Vet has actually examined her or if this is being discussed over the phone :?

Given her history I would think her lungs are now profoundly effected by the Pasteurella

Is she with the Vet now though. I am a bit confused as to whether the Vet has actually examined her or if this is being discussed over the phone :?

Given her history I would think her lungs are now profoundly effected by the Pasteurella

The vet came and picked her up this morning, but they are calling me to discuss things over the phone. The buns are with the vets now.

She has had snuffles every since I've had her. She has been on antibiotics 2 years and off them for two , but still showing occasional flare ups, which have always settled back down.

She has never showed the neurological symptoms she is showing before.

I thought she had had the equivalent of a stroke when i saw her, although her head is not tilting, her entire body is collaped, lethargic and she has her head straight but it was on the floor rather than held up.

Her back legs were weak and she wasn't attempting to hop as she would normally, she just laid close to the floor.

Last edited:
Do you think she could have an obstruction or is there anything that can be used to help with her breathing as it was almost non existent.

If she has acute pneumonia then it is extremely serious. I am sure that the Vet will administer abx and possibly a diuretic to shift any fluid build up in her lungs.
She is likely to need oxygen therapy and the Vet may also administer a NSAI (Metacam) and a Bronchodilator.

It does sound as though she is a very sick Bunny :cry:

No i don't have one. Do you know where i could get one or have a link to somewhere i can purchase one and I'll try when she comes home if she is up to it.

If she has acute pneumonia then it is extremely serious. I am sure that the Vet will administer abx and possibly a diuretic to shift any fluid build up in her lungs.
She is likely to need oxygen therapy and the Vet may also administer a NSAI (Metacam) and a Bronchodilator.

It does sound as though she is a very sick Bunny :cry:

Yes extremely sick. I hope they do everything they can for her. I'd be devastated to lose her.

She has been in a room in the house which is quite cold, it is indoors, but the temps have been freezing , so I'm not sure if because she has had and indoor coat on , it could have caused her to get pneumonia. The vets just said it was EC. How do they diagnose this? Is there a chance they wouldn't pick up on any of these other things.

Yes extremely sick. I hope they do everything they can for her. I'd be devastated to lose her.

She has been in a room in the house which is quite cold, it is indoors, but the temps have been freezing , so I'm not sure if because she has had and indoor coat on , it could have caused her to get pneumonia. The vets just said it was EC. How do they diagnose this? Is there a chance they wouldn't pick up on any of these other things.

I think you really need to discuss all this with the Vet. Ask WHY they think EC rather than bacterial infection given that she has such a long history of Pasteurella. What you are describing on here sounds far more like Pasteurellosis than EC, but we cant see the Rabbit and we are not Vets. Having ongoing dialogue with the Vet actually treating the Bun will give you far more information as all we can offer are guesses.

I hope Bun responds to treatment which will hopefully cover all bases re EC/Bacterial Infection.

I think you really need to discuss all this with the Vet. Ask WHY they think EC rather than bacterial infection given that she has such a long history of Pasteurella. What you are describing on here sounds far more like Pasteurellosis than EC, but we cant see the Rabbit and we are not Vets. Having ongoing dialogue with the Vet actually treating the Bun will give you far more information as all we can offer are guesses.

I hope Bun responds to treatment which will hopefully cover all bases re EC/Bacterial Infection.

Thankyou Jane. I trust your expertise here as you have had alot of rabbits over several years. They are calling me back later so i'll see what happens. I told them she has snuffles- i hope that is enough.

Back