• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Colder than ever - is it too cold???

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
There is frost on the INSIDE of the hutch roof. :shock::( I only noticed because Spenser was in his bedroom when I went out, so I had to lean in, so it may have been there before. I do have carpet and a plastic sheet on the roof, and the thermal hutch-hugger is due to arrive any day now. But I'm wondering if it is really now too cold even for a bunny with a coat like Spenser's to cope out there. :? It is supposed to get milder at the weekend.

There is frost on the INSIDE of the hutch roof. :shock::( I only noticed because Spenser was in his bedroom when I went out, so I had to lean in, so it may have been there before. I do have carpet and a plastic sheet on the roof, and the thermal hutch-hugger is due to arrive any day now. But I'm wondering if it is really now too cold even for a bunny with a coat like Spenser's to cope out there. :? It is supposed to get milder at the weekend.

I was worried about Benson and Lola last year and I rang Ann in Rabbit Welfare. She is lovely to talk to and she'll give you her honest advice, which I would take because she REALLY knows what she's doing!! She was lovely to me!!

Problem now is, its so cold outside, bringing him inside could damage his health as it will be so much warmer inside and he'll have his very thick coat, so he could overheat indoors. Also, obviously, you'd have to have him in until Spring time if you did bring him in.

I also know your parents may not be too happy about that!

Problem now is, its so cold outside, bringing him inside could damage his health as it will be so much warmer inside and he'll have his very thick coat, so he could overheat indoors. Also, obviously, you'd have to have him in until Spring time if you did bring him in.

I also know your parents may not be too happy about that!

If he comes in, it will be to an unheated conservatory - although obviously we can put a heater on low to keep the temp from dropping below zero. He hasn't eaten much this morning - his veg freezes in seconds because he likes it wet, so if he doesn't eat it immediately I have to remove it. Have sent out for emergency kale to tempt him!:oops:

If he comes in, it will be to an unheated conservatory - although obviously we can put a heater on low to keep the temp from dropping below zero. He hasn't eaten much this morning - his veg freezes in seconds because he likes it wet, so if he doesn't eat it immediately I have to remove it. Have sent out for emergency kale to tempt him!:oops:

Can I be really honest, I know you're there and I'm here and you know the situation better than me, but, with him being on his own, it's probably colder for him. If it were at all possible, I'd bring him in!! (And that's not just because I'm a frustrated house bunny wannabe owner!!! :lol:) Even though he can survive the winter, he might not be very comfortable, from what you've said. You know your own bun and business best though and there's no doubt that you love him and only want whats best for him. I know you'll do whats right by Spenser. Prayin that you find the right answer for Him!:love:

I think if they are outside buns they will be fine.Just extra bedding,snugglesafe,plenty of food.And covers over open areas of hutch.
Mine sit in the run all night ,and i think like most buns have a sleep during the day especially after being out in the snow this morning.It is amazing how their coats have got thicker.Best of Luck to everyone .Remember SUMMER IS ON THE WAY.
Just a final thought this Christmas for all those bunnies that are no so well loved and cared for.Keep warm little ones and may the new year bring more love.:love::love::love:

Can I be really honest, I know you're there and I'm here and you know the situation better than me, but, with him being on his own, it's probably colder for him. If it were at all possible, I'd bring him in!! (And that's not just because I'm a frustrated house bunny wannabe owner!!! :lol:) Even though he can survive the winter, he might not be very comfortable, from what you've said. You know your own bun and business best though and there's no doubt that you love him and only want whats best for him. I know you'll do whats right by Spenser. Prayin that you find the right answer for Him!:love:

Thanks! My gut feel is that Spenser has the temperament of an outdoor bun, but I really don't think he's comfortable in the hutch. At the moment he's having a frolic in the run, which will at least warm him up.:)He did not look a happy bunny at all when I went out first thing.:(

Have posted on the other thread Susie :wave:

Exercise will certainly make him feel happier & do him good so the more the better :D:D

Not sure - will try to find out. He has gone back into the hutch now and is looking a bit happier.

If the conservatory is unheated.... how about...... In at night and out for the warmest part of the day until it starts to get dark??? :D Is that an idea?? Is it?? Is it????? I know what you mean about being an outdoor bun - Lola is most definately a great outdoors girl, whereas Benson would be delighted to play indoors!! I'm just wondering (for myself aswell, as I'm gonna hopefully have this decision to make next year), if they would adapt...? :?

Hi :) I had to bring my two in due to a problem with my shed and although the window was open and radiator was off, their ears were still warm and I think they preferred their normal surroundings. I was at the vets that night and I spoke to him about it, he said as long as the rabbit has been outside before it will have a thick winter coat and rabbits don't feel the cold like we do. And I think I should've left them outside what they're used to. It's all sorted now so they went back out the next day. I would say as long as he has lots of hay and stuff to keep him warm, he should be ok. :)

Not sure - will try to find out. He has gone back into the hutch now and is looking a bit happier.

You can buy a relatively cheap weather station on amazon (about £20), maybe its worth ordering one so you can monitor what's going on. That's not of use right now but can make it a lot easier when you have it.

Just noticed the figure -9 is appearing at the top of my computer. That feels about right for out there! :shock:

Just noticed the figure -9 is appearing at the top of my computer. That feels about right for out there! :shock:

We've had -9 here and my bunnies did ok- but it was only for one night. I wonder if it might be necessary to look at different ways to try and protect the hutch more?

We've had -9 here and my bunnies did ok- but it was only for one night. I wonder if it might be necessary to look at different ways to try and protect the hutch more?

Definitely. It is at the bottom of the garden, and there isn't a place it could conveniently go against the wall of the house. Plus, it's too heavy to shift. So far it has polysteyrene at the back, and old window on one side, hardboard on the otherside ... if only the thermal hutch-hugger would turn up. I was quoted 20 days for delivery and after 28 it wasn't even made! :evil:

I wonder if you could take a pic and post it, if we could suggest things to help until the hutch hugger gets there.

I have found silver back beach mats work a treat, but anything silver would help to reflect the cold out and keep the warmth in, so like thos space blankets, foil backed bubble wrap, etc. Maybe there might be something like that you could try?

I wonder if you could take a pic and post it, if we could suggest things to help until the hutch hugger gets there.

I have found silver back beach mats work a treat, but anything silver would help to reflect the cold out and keep the warmth in, so like thos space blankets, foil backed bubble wrap, etc. Maybe there might be something like that you could try?

I forgot about that! Last year before the shed, Benson and lola's place looked like a giant space rocket - made blinds of the stuff and covered the top in it - it worked a treat Susie!! I bought it in the builders section of B&Q - it is for insulating boilers. You can buy special silver tape that is totally waterproof to stick it all together with. I tacked it on at the top along with cord so I could roll it up in the day like a roller blind and down at night!! That would really help him - I'm getting all excited now!!! That and extra straw mixed with hay and his cardboard box and blankies - he should be ok!! :D

Here's a picture. Spenser is taking his morning doze in the sun, bless him!
PC230383.jpg

Back