• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Expect the Unexpected !!

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
So for many of us our usual Vets will be closed for 4 days and it will be 'Out-of-Hours' Service. I thought it might be useful to list things to have on standby incase we have a poorly Rabbit over the Christmas long weekend.

Obviously the first port of call would be to your Vet's Out-of-Hours Emergency Phone Number so it'd be good to know what your Vet's Emergency arrangements are.

Then perhaps have a few things in 'just incase'. Things such as :

1ml Disposable syringes
Infacol or Gripe Water
Dioralyte Sachets (Plain)
Peppermint Tea Bags
Critical Care
Heat Pad
Sterile Saline Solution
Cotton Wool Pads (none 'moulting' type !!)
Hibiscrub

If your Vet allows you to have a supply of Metacam at home for use in an emergency then make sure you have some.

Also, if you have a Bun on longterm meds then check that you have enough to tide you over the long weekend.

I hope this does not come across as me being a 'know-it-all' :oops: I am only trying to be helpful.

Perhaps you could add some things to the list above as I am sure that I will forget something. But I can blame my age for that !!:D

It does not have to be a lengthy 'First Aid Kit' list, just the bits and bobs that would be good to have available. Things that may be useful should you have to contact a Vet during Christmas.

Hmmmmmmmmm, I guess a Credit/Debit Card would be helpful too..........

I am lucky and my vet has one of the practice vets and nurses on site 24/7...so I just have a credit card in my kit :lol::lol:

Good idea :) I have a first aid kit for the rabbits but it dosen't include Dioralyte Sachets and Peppermint Tea Bags, what are they for?

I'm all prepared. My Vets surgery is a hospityal with nurses on site 24/7 and my vets cover the out of hours emergency service/ My particular vet is covering on christmas day, which is a relief, although I really hope I don't see him (random fact, but its also his birthday then too- he should be with his kids).

I'm lucky too that we have 24/7 (expensive :shock:) cover, but that is a really useful list.

My top tip would be not to overdo the treats for your bunny over Christmas, especially if they have a sensitive tummy!

My boys will get their usual food - anything different and we get squidgy poos, with the possibility of Clo going into stasis, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

My top tip would be not to overdo the treats for your bunny over Christmas, especially if they have a sensitive tummy!

My boys will get their usual food - anything different and we get squidgy poos, with the possibility of Clo going into stasis, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Absolutely! No special treats or Christmas dinner for my lot...well they will have Liz's biscuits but they have had them many times before so I have no worries there.

I'm lucky too that we have 24/7 (expensive :shock:) cover, but that is a really useful list.

agree with that.

B&G will get an extra sprout each and perhaps an extra crunchie, but apart fro that, its all new toys, not foody treats :wave:

Excellent post.
Mine will be treated exactly the same as normal, no extras.
I can't think of anything to add to the list.

I would add a bag of Hartmanns for Sub-q fluids if needed (plus associated needles and large syringes). I always make sure I have one in the house.

How long does Metaclop last once the bottle is open:wave: I have a couple of doses left and some metacam. Some recovery food, syringes, I have mint tea bags too (whats that for :? ) I need to make up a little box :wave:

excellent thread :D

not sure i have anything else valuable to add - brains a bit mushy at the moment

I would add a bag of Hartmanns for Sub-q fluids if needed (plus associated needles and large syringes). I always make sure I have one in the house.

Thing is most bunny owners on here wouldn't know how to give this.

I think the people with the knowledge to administer any treatment will have the essential supplies, and those that don't should just call the vet.

I think things like metacam, critical care and metaclop/zantac etc are very good to have on hand, but should not be given unless your vet tells you to (obviously not talking about the bunny owners who routinely treat poorly buns)

Thing is most bunny owners on here wouldn't know how to give this.

I think the people with the knowledge to administer any treatment will have the essential supplies, and those that don't should just call the vet.

I think things like metacam, critical care and metaclop/zantac etc are very good to have on hand, but should not be given unless your vet tells you to (obviously not talking about the bunny owners who routinely treat poorly buns)

I agree with this. My post was not intended to encourage self diagnosis and treatment. Just to have some *non prescription* things in the house that my be needed AFTER a call to the Vet :)

I have mint tea bags too (whats that for :? )

Some people (including myself) use it to give fluids if needed. Make some up with cooled boiled water. I give it quite strong and luke warm. Its much better than the pineapple juice that people used to give as it doesnt contain all the sugars and the buns seem to really like it! One of my friends was giving some to a poorly bun and the buns partner kept coming over for a syringe full :lol: Peppermint tea is also good for hoomins for unsettled tummy/indigestion.

I agree, I only really ever administer critical care. I tend to spot 'funny tummies' quite early and a dose of watered down CC is generally all that's needed to sort them out. As we don't have any chronically ill bunnies, we don't keep metacam or anything like that as it would just go off before we used it.
I think the list you put up is spot on.

I think I gave Mischa peppermint tea when he had head tilt, it encouraged him to drink. I think I have most things on that list.

No dioralyte, critical care or hibiscrub though. Am I right in saying that one can make up a kind of critical care mix with pellets and water? I know it wouldn't have the added extras in but would work in a pinch? I did have a sachet of it but it was way out of date last time I looked so I think I threw it.

Back