• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does hay actually fill them up?

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
I've cut right down on Louie's pellets and veg, on the vets advice, to get Louie eating more hay.

Although I see him eating hay throughout the day, whenever I go in the fridge, he is dancing round me for more veg :? Does the mostly hay diet actually fill them up or is he really hungry?

I'm going to take him back to the vets either Friday, if I can get him in, or just after Christmas for another check on his teeth. I'm not convinced that there isn't something wrong there, just a hunch but still..

mOrning :wave:
I *think* hay does fill them up, but not as much as veg or pellets. Mine eat tons of hay but still beg for veg at every given oppurtunity :roll: I dont think theyre hungry, they just flippin LOVE their veg :lol:
Hope its good news re Louies teefs xxxxx

i don't know, but i think it might be that, as a rabbit, louie feels obliged to want food of all kinds at all times. matthew and tabitha certainly have this approach to noms (one, in fact, i have employed myself for many years, leading to an unbearable roundness of being).

mOrning :wave:
I *think* hay does fill them up, but not as much as veg or pellets. Mine eat tons of hay but still beg for veg at every given oppurtunity :roll: I dont think theyre hungry, they just flippin LOVE their veg :lol:
Hope its good news re Louies teefs xxxxx[/QUOTE,

Morning, thanks for the reply :D

The vet gave Louie's teeth a good look a few weeks ago when he wasn't eating. She said that 1 tooth was a bit dodgy looking but not bad enough to need a dental. She said to restrict the veg and pellets to encourage even more hay consumption and that this should improve the tooth :?

I will definately take him back and get a second opinion.

i don't know, but i think it might be that, as a rabbit, louie feels obliged to want food of all kinds at all times. matthew and tabitha certainly have this approach to noms (one, in fact, i have employed myself for many years, leading to an unbearable roundness of being).

I've also weaned him off Carrot Crunchies as he was getting far too many! Evertime anyone went in the garage, where they were kept, he would bomb over and stand looking cute so got a treat!

He was getting a bit porky :oops: but has now dropped the excess weight and is a lot livelier :D

I think they do have to eat more hay to get filled up. I think with Jack a hand full of pellets = like 2 handfuls of hay.

My two act like they are starved all the time - i feed them loads though (I'll cut down when the weather is warmer). :lol::lol::lol: I dread to think how they'd react if i cut down their food. :shock:

They both are pretty good hay eaters though - Daisy always has been and Lucky more so since Daisy came to us.

Hope Louie is ok xxx I am sure he's acting like a normal bunny though :lol::lol::lol:

Hay does fill them up, but they have to eat all the time for it to happen. If you liken veg and pellets to sweets (which they are because for the average rabbit, on an average diet they are given so minimally 10-20% of the diet) and think that many children will always have room for sweets and junk even if they are full from something else and many will plague for sweets, that's no different from rabbits and those other things.

The majority of my bunnies get two science selective pellets a day and the rest if hay and they always have full tummies and systems when they go to the vets (unless they are ill obviously). They will always come over for food though, but even if I feed them unlimited pellets, they will still come over for food to see if its better than what they know they have. Eternal optimists, :lol:.

When I switched mine over to hay only, they never stopped looking for treats, but they never lost any weight, so they certainly weren't starving. They were just on the scrounge for a treat! :D

Hmmmmm looks like he is normal then :lol::lol:

I just went into the kitchen and he is streched out next to the food bowl with his back foot dangling in his water bowl :roll:

I came to get the camera but he had moved by the time I got back!

Some rabbits eat twice their body size in hay, it must fill them up. Mine are always less hungry when I've piled in the hay the day before

Hay does fill them up, but they have to eat all the time for it to happen. If you liken veg and pellets to sweets (which they are because for the average rabbit, on an average diet they are given so minimally 10-20% of the diet) and think that many children will always have room for sweets and junk even if they are full from something else and many will plague for sweets, that's no different from rabbits and those other things.

The majority of my bunnies get two science selective pellets a day and the rest if hay and they always have full tummies and systems when they go to the vets (unless they are ill obviously). They will always come over for food though, but even if I feed them unlimited pellets, they will still come over for food to see if its better than what they know they have. Eternal optimists, :lol:.

This.

Mine only get hay (and veggies too) and therefore spend most of their time eating. They don't know any different though and yes they will dance around if I have food or they think food might be forthcoming but all bunnies will play the hungry card even if they're not! Eternal optimists is the best description ever! :D:lol:

Back