• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby rabbit question????

kk_kayla

Mama Doe
hi,
my zebies kits are 11 days old tomorrow and there nest is beginning to smell a little...tomorrow i am going to check their eyes so i wondered if i should clean it out and make them a new one. (keeping the mumsfur of course.)

thanks

When I spoke to my vets they advised me not to clean the hut for at least 1 week :)
If you could clean it without getting much of your smell on them, then I think you should probably try and get some fresh bedding in :) I plan on cleaning mine out after 1 week as Pumpkin has been eating so much she's been pooping alot!!!

zebies are 11 days tomoz so their eyes should be opening around now :D...so i will defo change bedding to stop eye infection..

-...my other rabbit rubie had her babies last night :D

I do the first nest clean just before they open their eyes to minimise risk of infection. Take out the fur, and remove any dirty bedding and put hay back in the same shape as it was before, then put the fur back ontop :) Make sure you put the babies somewhere warm (not hot) whilst you're doing this, and it might be easier if you put the mother in a run or carrier

misty's kits are a week old and i've moved them and she's fine still feeding them and everything, they are in their nest but on a blanket in their house misty is eating loads and pooping lots i give her rabbit mix twice a day she's had some banana today and hay twice and they have been moved upstairs and theres been no problems her kits are massive for a week old

yh when i check on them i put the mum in the carrier(with treats) as shes a little anxious when i touch them...

where do you suggest i put them on a blanket??

I'd pop them in a blanket with the fur in a box just quick whilst you do it. Shouldn't take you very long :) They'll be crawling around soon so if the are on the top level of a multi-level housing you need to block the doorway so they can't fall down as soon as they start coming out.

i give her rabbit mix twice a day she's had some banana today and hay twice and they have been moved upstairs and theres been no problems her kits are massive for a week old

Have you thought of switching to A&P pellets? They're cheap but a very good food, much better than mix. :)

Is hay always available? It's very important to help with proper digestion and keeping their teeth in good condition.

All in all it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job with so many little ones! :thumb:

AMETHYST

Have you thought of switching to A&P pellets? They're cheap but a very good food, much better than mix. :)

Is hay always available? It's very important to help with proper digestion and keeping their teeth in good condition.

All in all it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job with so many little ones! :thumb:

AMETHYST

yes hun hay is always there they did have pellets the wagg premium ones and loved it i might change them back onto pellets i give them veg as well broccoli and cabbage :D

yes hun hay is always there they did have pellets the wagg premium ones and loved it i might change them back onto pellets i give them veg as well broccoli and cabbage :D

Oh good stuff! :D Yeah I'd definitely switch them back to a good pellet diet if you can. Mix the pellets in ever-increasing amounts with the old mix to kind of ease them into it - sudden changes upset their little tummies! My bunnies adore green carrot tops, that's their favourite veggie ever! :lol:

You sound like such an attentive bunny mum! :D

AMETHYST

Oh good stuff! :D Yeah I'd definitely switch them back to a good pellet diet if you can. Mix the pellets in ever-increasing amounts with the old mix to kind of ease them into it - sudden changes upset their little tummies! My bunnies adore green carrot tops, that's their favourite veggie ever! :lol:

You sound like such an attentive bunny mum! :D

AMETHYST

yeah and the rest of my zoo lol x:lol:

Back