• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Rack or Floor?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Do you use a hay Rack or let rabbits eat off the cage floor?

p.s I use a litter tray and line the hutch with it now. I did use a hay rack, but i can't get ones to fit these hutches that are big enough.

Out of litter tray :thumb: Whenever I use hay racks they get it everywhere. They prefer digging through it in the litter tray anyway.

I tried a free standing hay rack - which Lucky took a dislike to and attacked it everytime i put it out :roll:

Now it lines their litter tray and diggy tray. I dont even put it in the hutch as they push it out of there.

I tried a free standing hay rack - which Lucky took a dislike to and attacked it everytime i put it out :roll:

Now it lines their litter tray and diggy tray. I dont even put it in the hutch as they push it out of there.

What do you line the hutch with out of interest? Thanks

Out of litter tray :thumb: Whenever I use hay racks they get it everywhere. They prefer digging through it in the litter tray anyway.

Same currently- although some of my buns dont have trays as they dont use them and prefer to go throughout the entire hutch. Messy bunnys :)

Mine still manage to traipse it around, especially Smudge who is a hay magnet. :roll: He's worse this time of year cos his fur is extra fluffy.

Spenser would have nothing to do with either of the two hay racks I bought him. He will only eat his hay off the floor of the hutch, although now that he has a litter bowl he eats it from there too. He seems to particularly relish bits he has weed on. :mrgreen: He also eats bits of dropped straw or hay in the run, which is impossible to sweep just now due to tight-packed snow.

libby and duke are having great fun rummaging around on the floor of their bonding pen in the hay, they have a hay rack in there too filled with hay from west wales willows but they much prefer grazing off the floor :D

Hay rack, in the litter tray, in a cardboard box in the run, in the bed and in his food bowl (sometimes)
There is hay EVERYWHERE! Dreading hoovering up :oops:

I use a 'half moon' wire flower basket from Wilko, and its hung just above the litter tray so anything that drops, lands in it :wave:

Indy has his litter tray packed with hay and a plastic hay rack on the outside of the bars... He's suddenly taken a liking to the wicker hay racks I've been buying him, and eaten three in two weeks :evil: He has a hay cookie too.

Pie has her alfalfa hay in a willow basket and normal hay in a corner :)

I try and keep the hay in the litter tray but the buns seem to prefer it when it is spread across my bedroom floor :roll:

They do have toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay and love nomming it that way too.

hay rack and litter tray. they both like the hay rack which is really 2 NIC cube grids strung together in a V. It's dual purpose to create a little closed in corner type bit on the shelf for them to snuggle up in and to hold lots of hay :lol: Often find Bindi sat on the shelf eating from it and Eddie sat on the crate eating from the other side (crate is in a suitable place for him to climb on and eat from there) or even occasionally in it! He looks most perturbed when I go and remove him from sitting in it though.
I try to keep as much off the floor and in the rack as possible though as both have been treated for EC in the past, and Bindi lost her litter training from it so goes everywhere and I don't want her ingesting it and getting an active infection again as it's not fair on her. (The EC got into her brain and she's epileptic now, and when ever she gets ill she fits more and longer)

There is hay EVERYWHERE! Dreading hoovering up :oops:

Ditto :lol:

except i dont want to get the hoover out while they are bonding because i dont want duke to react badly to it, dustpan and brush for us.... the house doesnt exactly look at its best right now it must be said :roll:

thats a really brilliant idea

sorry about Bindi - hope shes ok

Hehe, thank you - it would be a lot better if a certain bunny didn't keep eating through the string I hold the sides together with though :roll: tempted to rename him mischief or something.
And Bindi's ok, we pretty much have her under control with medication and a change in routine (ie a very low stress lifestyle).

I would put the hay rack over the trays too but it still managed to fall out the side not by the tray. In general most of the hay stays in the tray as we use the higher sided underbed storage boxes rather than cat litter trays which I found were useless :)

Back