• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaking rabbits shed!

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, sorry if this thread's in the wrong section, I didn't know weather to put it here, in housing or general chat as it is about my shed but is also where I keep my rabbits crate and all her stuff so I thought I'd put it in rabbit chat! Ok, just been cleaning out my guinea pigs cage which is in my shed, next to their cage I have my rabbits extra large dog crate and all her food, hay, blankets etc. and my rabbit also gets free hop of the shed with her crate door open all the time. Luckily my rabbit wasn't in the shed as she is being bonded with my new rescue bun but the aim is once they are bonded for them to go back into the shed together. But I noticed the floor was a bit wet, what I've brought in on my shoes I thought. I set to work cleaning out the piggies when I felt a dripping on my head, the roof was leaking :shock: in several places including over my rabbits crate! The sides were also leaking and the floor near the sides all wet, I am worried it is going to rot! My guinea pigs cage seems to be ok and I covered it with a waterproof sheet, I covered most of my rabbits crate and moved her stuff under the table so it is sheltered and put bowls on the floor to catch the biggest drips. But is there anything else I can do to stop the leaking? The shed is not that old either :( My rabbits have been going into their seperate crates next to eachother on a night as I can't leave them together on a night as one of them is very nervous and will not eat/sleep etc whilst in the bonding area, but is it safe to put them there tonight? I don't know what to do about the shed or the guineas and rabbits! :shock:

Hi Liz :wave:

It sounds like the shed needs re-felting (assuming this is what the roof has on it now). You can buy rolls of felt frpm B&Q etc. Not sure about the sides but could you peg some tarpaulin over it for now? It may be that once you've fixed the roof the other problems will fix themselves i.e. it may be running down from the roof and down the walls/along the floor.

Re. the bonding - give Jill a quick call :D

Are you sure it's not condensation from the freeze thawing out? have you wipes the roof? (inside), this happened with mine but it's all intact as I say just thawing out as the sun has been out. :wave:

Thankyou both :) I will see about re-felting it tomorrow. I did wipe the roof but more water kept coming through. Managed to cover everything inside so nothing will get wet. Just worried about the water making the wood rot but for the dripping has pretty much stopped now I hope it was just because of all the snow on the roof melting (which I shoveled off)

The bonding is going ok, but for the time being I don't feel as though I can leave them togther at night and it gives Gordon time to eat etc. If Gordon is still nervous and not eating or responding to Beano by say next week I will give her a call.

Last edited:
Thankyou both :) I will see about re-felting it tomorrow. I did wipe the roof but more water kept coming through. Managed to cover everything inside so nothing will get wet. Just worried about the water making the wood rot but for the dripping has pretty much stopped now I hope it was just because of all the snow on the roof melting (which I shoveled off)

The bonding is going ok, but for the time being I don't feel as though I can leave them togther at night and it gives Gordon time to eat etc. If Gordon is still nervous and not eating or responding to Beano by say next week I will give her a call.

Have there been any improvements between them today?

Re. the shed - yes you don't want it to rot which is likely if it can't dry out. Is the present roof the one from new? If so how old is it?

Last edited:
They have been pretty much the same. I can't remember how long ago I got the shed but I got it for my guinea pigs, two of which passed away last year and they lived in it for quite a while so about 2 years old but I can't be sure about that. It has rained really heavily before and I've had no problems with it before.

They have been pretty much the same. I can't remember how long ago I got the shed but I got it for my guinea pigs, two of which passed away last year and they lived in it for quite a while so about 2 years old but I can't be sure about that. It has rained really heavily before and I've had no problems with it before.

I would say the roof will probably need doing every couple of years (depending on the position of the shed etc) and the bad weather at the beginning of this year and more recently has probably taken it's toll. You don't need to remove whats there, just re-felt over the top, making sure there is no join down the centre and any overlaps are on the top (hope that makes sense). Will your dad help you?

Back