• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Funny talking rabbit thing.

Im not sure exactly how to explain this but i did wonder if anyone elses rabbit did the same and knows why.

When i stroke Alfies back esp if he is laying flat out he lifts his head right up and back as far as it will go and starts to lick the air as if he is taking to us. its really funny and always makes me laugh. even when he is laying there and no one is paying him any attention he will lift his head into this vertical position and puff out his big chest. I keep thinking i must make a small video to post and also send into youve been framed!!!

Any suggestions why he does this?

Last edited:
Whilst it sounds cute, I would be very concerned if my rabbit was doing that; actually, Badger had his nose right into the air yesterday and I took him to the emergency vets. Has your bunny had a vet check recently?

I think a video might be useful, but would urge you to keep a close eye on him.

^^^ this.

Even if it's just for a general check over.

I have to admit though my mums dog does this as she lovely her back being ticklet so much she licks the air as if to same nom nom nom

Mischa and Nutmeg used to do that (but without the licking the air) - more before they were neutered so I did wonder if it was somehow hormonal. Is your bun neutered?

Its defo a sign that he is approving of the backs rubs he started doing this approx a year ago a few months after being neutered. If you talk to him he stops licking the air waits for you to finish then starts again!!! He was at the vets the week before last having a check up/ and nails clipped so i know all is well.

I think he is just a very affectionate bun, he licks everything, grooms me and my other half to death and sits for hours having his head/ nose/ cheeks/ back rubbed. He loves the fuss so much so that if your not rubbing the right spot he will slowly rotate or repositon himself so you get it right :lol:

I will try to take a video over the next couple of days and post it so you can see what i mean.

Darcy and Frasier do this when I give them a back scratch. They love it. They will either lick me, lick themselves, the floor or the air while I do it. :)

Back