• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing Dogs to Buns

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
I brought my 3 rabbits home for Christmas on Tuesday - they live in a 2 storey converted bike shed, with a mesh door on one side.

My parents have 2 cocker spaniels so I want to introduce them to each other, through the mesh, so that they can coexist peacefully in the garden.

Pepper (one of the dogs) has always been intrigued by the rabbit house, so I let her meet them first, holding onto her collar. She didnt do much other than whine and wag her stumpy tail, but the buns didnt like it and thumped and dashed to hide. I havent tried Jazz (other dog) with them yet as I dont want to stress them further.

Anyone got any recommendations on how to do this properly and safely. The buns were in foster care with people who had dogs and arent usually overly worried by them. They wont ever be allowed together, but it would be great if we could let the dogs out for a wee etc without them bothering the buns.

Pepper is food and toy orientated, Jazz isnt. We have flexi and standard leads for them both.

I think its normal for them to be excited and curious at first, I know my dog Meg always is. After a few days the novelty sort of wears off and she just accepts them as part of the family and wants to wash their ears and bums :D Think I would keep them on their leads for a few days when first let out so they don't rush up to the buns and startle them, then let them off and watch closely.

Ah thats a good link, Meg knows what 'be nice' means

Thanks, will try that, probably one dog at a time. I dont think Jazz will be a problem, its Pepper who is just too curious i think!

Been in bed with a cough/cold last 2 days so will give it a go after Christmas. Great link as well btw

Back