• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am i being paranoid?

beausaffie

Warren Scout
I have 2 rabbits both different breeds. Beau is a year old Dutch and Saffie is an 8 month old smoke satin. Both neautred boys that live in seperate cages.

I personally think Saffie feels underweight compared to Beau. I can feel his spine and hip bones, he has longer hair than my Dutch so its hard to tell without weighing him. Saffie is ALWAYS hungry compared to Beau. Im sure he has not always been this tiny as i play with them every day but dont always hold them or pick them up as they dont particually like it.

I only give my indoor rabbits unlimited ammounts of hay and some pellets that they have to work for in a treat ball.

I am thinking maybe i should up Saffies pellets to bulk him up a bit?

I am very greatful for any advice as im a little concerned. Thank you for reading.

Not for a couple of months. Maybe i should cal my vet and get a check up for him?

I wondered if it was just because the breeds are different i could be being parenoid, but im sure he shouldnt be that tiny!

I would say get him vet checked and discuss with the vet what adjustments you could make to his diet to help him :)

Thank you Sky-O, im going to keep a closer eye on him as well. He actually seems really quiet compared to normal and he hasnt eaten all his nuggets i put down for him 30 mins ago. :(

I would be suspecting a dental issue, and I would suggest a vet check today would be ideal :)

I've just seen this. Well done for getting an appointment so sharpish. I hope it has gone ok :) I'll be looking for an update.

good luck at the vets - hope all goes well for saffie and that the vet can help work out what will help saffie

Took Saffie to the vets and they are taking him in tomorrow to go under anesthetic and have his teeth looked at, they are also going to xray his abdomen and skull.

So i should hopefully know whats the matter with him by tomorrow. :roll:

You're awesome for acting so promptly. I really hope that they find nothing serious and maybe just one annoying spur that is easy to sort. Please keep us updated.

:(My bunnies are my babies. I know when somethings not right, just cant believe his weight dropped from 1.35 to 1.01 practically overnight! :(

My vet said as he is showing no signs of discomfort or pain and is still lively she isnt going to give him pain relief today. She has said to monitor wee's, poo's how much he is eating and drinking - pretty much everything. I constantly watch them anyway so thats easy!

Yes he has eaten half a slice of brown bread toast and im giving him unlimited hay and nuggets at the moment. He is laying down a lot today though and seems reserved.

Saffie wont be home for Christmas. He is on a drip, having pain relief, had some gut moving drugs and had a blood test to to check his stomach and liver are ok and test for E.caniculi.

Im actually really worried for him now :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear that. What does the vet think is wrong? Why does he think he won't be home for Christmas?

My vet sedated him today and checked his teeth and xrayed him. Teeth are fine. I just got back from the vets and she showed me his xray, saffie is full of gas. Even my vet is worried about him, which to me she is preparing me for the worst. I cant stop crying. They have taken blood from him to check his liver and stomach and check for ecaniculi but he is so very poorly. I lost my last bunny this time last year as well because of ecaniculi he was just a baby.

Hopefully the vets can help him. i'm sorry he is so sick. You couldn't have acted faster though; you have done him proud with how fast you got him treatment.

Back