• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baled hay question

William

Wise Old Thumper
How long do you think a bale of timothy hay would last 3 rabbits (all small rabbits 3-4.5 lbs)? Just as food. Just wondering since I may get a bale.

I think people with 2-4 bunnies have said in the past that a bale has lasted them 3-4 weeks :wave:

I can't really comment, i have nowhere to store a bale, so have to use bagged stuff :wave:

Wow, I thought it'd last longer than that. Do you know how much a bale weighs? I'm not even sure how big a bale is. I always buy bagged too. For 2 rabbits I've been buying a 24 oz bag every 10 days... I can't remember how much I used to buy. I'm wondering if maybe my rabbits ate more hay before (had to convert them back to it since they refused it after they were neutered). They have healthy poops, though..

Bales vary in size so it's hard to say. If you are just using it as food and not as litter I think it will last months! (based on the size of bales I get)

i think a standard bale weighs around 15kg.

I buy bagged timothy hay, and I am looking to use around 4kg a month for 2 rabbits (just for food). So 15kg would last me around 4 months.

A bale of meadow hay which i use for bedding lasts me about 2-3 weeks.

For four bunnies and 2 guinea pigs, mine lasted 4 weeks. I did think it would last longer but I fill litter trays up to the top every day.

A bale lasts my four about 6 weeks. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I don't have hutches though - just large litter trays.

Wow, I thought it'd last longer than that. Do you know how much a bale weighs? I'm not even sure how big a bale is. I always buy bagged too. For 2 rabbits I've been buying a 24 oz bag every 10 days... I can't remember how much I used to buy. I'm wondering if maybe my rabbits ate more hay before (had to convert them back to it since they refused it after they were neutered). They have healthy poops, though..

My bale fits snuggly into this...

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...280522&c_1=1|category_root|Gardening|16849255

So it's about those measurements but slightly less.

i rang up a hay merchants and they said one bale would last me six months and that only would cost a fiver i paid 2.71 for some hay from the pet shop yesterday i only use it for food as i put sawdust and straw in for bedding and a blanket :love:

i rang up a hay merchants and they said one bale would last me six months and that only would cost a fiver i paid 2.71 for some hay from the pet shop yesterday i only use it for food as i put sawdust and straw in for bedding and a blanket :love:

When they say six months do they mean it's shelf life? Just even with one bunny I would go through a bale quicker than six months.

i'm not sure but i cant go and get the hay anyway cos it wont fit in dads car i need to find somewhere nearer runcorn who can deliver as it will be cheaper than buying bagged :wave:

i'm not sure but i cant go and get the hay anyway cos it wont fit in dads car i need to find somewhere nearer runcorn who can deliver as it will be cheaper than buying bagged :wave:

Really? Is it a round one? Or a rectangle one? The square one's get in the boot of my Corsa and it's not exactly a big car!!

Not sure cos the merchant was in haydock where my parents live and i'm in runcorn i've got enough hay at the mo the pet shop is 5 mins away if i run out going to wait till after xmas and find one that can deliver x

I buy a bale of meadow hay for about £6...it lasts my 2 buns a good month & half...they have a hay rack fillled fresh every day & as they are currently indoors they dont need it as bedding.

When they were out doors I just filled their bedding areas & changed it once a week - depending on if they had used it as a loo!
It lasts a little less time when you use it as bedding but if the buns are cleans you can leave it. A bale is def. cheaper than bags.

I fit a bale of hay onto the back seat of my car - just put something down to protect the seats.

Best to store it off the floor - just raise for air circulation - out the rain - so covered but not with plastic if poss. Needs ot breather. Some people also use an old duvet.

:wave:

I think I'll get a bale in a couple weeks then :D Maybe 2. I'll have to check the hay out first and make sure its clean and not dusty. They supposedly have $5 bales of grass hay (all grass hay is healthy for buns, right?) and sometimes have timothy. If they don't have timothy theres a place I can get some for $18.

I thought maybe I'd mix grass hay and timothy, maybe Timmy would like the grass hay better. I never feed any hay but timothy so I'm kinda scared to change their diet any, because I know timothy is very healthy and I wouldn't want my buns to prefer another hay over timothy. :?

Back