• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the boys castration tomorow!

Pretty low as long as they are healthy and your vet is experienced with bunnies :) Castration of males is a very short and straightforward operation so they should be well on the way to recovery by the time they get home tomorrow. Rescues get boy rabbits neutered routinely up until several years old and rarely have a problem :)

Tomorrow night they will need to stay indoors as the anaesthetic means that their body cannot regulate its temperature for about 24 hours so it's important that they're not outside tomorrow night.

Good luck, hope everything goes well for the little chaps xxx

my two boy's were done just over a week ago, its not so much the anesthetic, its the recovery after, my vet explained everything to me before they went in, they are put on heat pads after the op as they carn't regulate their body temp, they will have metacom and a gut stimulant injection, they keep a close eye on them to make sure they start to eat and drink when they come round, my vet wouldnt let mine come home till they had both wee'd and poo'd. luckily they did and i fetched them home mid afternoon, try to stay calm i was a nervious reck until i phoned the vets at lunchtime to see how they were doing, good luck to your boys for tomorrow.

As Santa said, there's a very low risk aslong as they're healthy. Two of mine are getting neutered in a few weeks, one 5 years old and I have no doubts :)

Barney was castrated today and is fine came out of the carrier and headed straight for his veg:lol:
So im sure your boys will be okay:love:

Dexie was neutered 2 weeks ago and is a very happy, healthy bun :)

Anesthetic is only a problem with sick buns. It is a higher risk that with other animals as it is injected and therefore there is no possible way of removing it other than letting it pass through their system.

Honestly though, try not to worry too much :) They will be absolutely fine! All my buns, does and bucks have recovered really well after neutering with zero problems!

Lots of vibes!

Not really, two of them would barely be able to move in one of those and it's too small to allow them to get away from their toileting. If you don't have any panels or something that you could make a pen with, do you have a small room that you could shut them in, like a WC, porch or the bathroom? If you really don't have anywhere to put them, maybe the vets could keep them overnight to check that they are ok before bringing them back the following morning?

I'm sure they'll be fine :)

Not really, two of them would barely be able to move in one of those and it's too small to allow them to get away from their toileting. If you don't have any panels or something that you could make a pen with, do you have a small room that you could shut them in, like a WC, porch or the bathroom? If you really don't have anywhere to put them, maybe the vets could keep them overnight to check that they are ok before bringing them back the following morning?

I'm sure they'll be fine :)

I actually come think ofitbhavea lab sized dog crate, i thnk thry will be ok in that

I actually come think ofitbhavea lab sized dog crate, i thnk thry will be ok in that

I bought a puppy crate after we had to do shifts one night when Spenser was poorly and had to be kept indoors. Haven't used it yet, but I'm glad it's there as an option.

Good luck
Jenson was "done" two weeks ago and he was fine (I was the nervous wreak). My vets were great about it and even showed me where he would be staying.
I even packed him a lunch so he had his usual food when he was there :lol:

aaah lotsa quick healing vibes for the boys!
:wave:As mentioned above - puppy crate indoors with a snuggle safe to have an option of some warmth if they need it is nice, pop some hay into some toilet rolls and wedge between the bars low down so they dont have to stretch up as they will feel abit tender, for them to eat.....also put a bowl of water down they cant knock over so they can drink alittle easier. When buns dont feel well or are recovering a bowl is easier than a bottle as they dont have to lift their heads up. You can still put the bottle there if thats what you usually use but perhaps add a bowl.

When my girls got spayed - I packed them a lunch each for the nurses to use to encourage them to start eating after their op. It certainly helped form the feed back...so perhaps some favourite herbs or something. They also had a blanket each which had their own smells on so that gave them some comfort whilst at the vets too.

Keep us updated on how they do! Lotsa vibes for your little boys!:wave:

Hi! Oh well - dont worry too much over christmas & you can get them eating lotsa hay to fatten up a little bit! One of my girls was also too small to have the op and I waited till she was alot older once she had gained some weight.

Hope you have a lovely Christmas & new years - nom nom boys!:wave:

Back