• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you move a litter tray?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
We have just had our spare room done up. We bring our outdoor buns into the house for play time, they usually get the run of the house.
Before the room was done up we put a litter tray in the corner for them to use but one of the bunnies usually poops around the outside of the litter tray too. I dont really want this happening in our nice new bedroom so just wondered do you think I can keep the litter tray downstairs and make them use it there instead of the spare bedroom corner or will they remember and alway associate that corner with the toilet?
One of the bunnies gets to run around our own room as well, we have never put a litter tray our room so he never seems to poop in there:)

I would try moving the current tray and leaving a spare there temporarily and see if the swap. You might find you need to temporarily remove access to the area to break the habit.

If they are outdoors at this time of the year I wouldn't bring them indoors, the temperature difference is too great.

Since you have had the room redecorated they will probably see it as a new area and won't remember the toilet area, so you should be okay. However if it's nice and new, why don't you just shut them out. If they've got the rest of the house they don't need your nice new bedroom to mess up :)

If they are outdoors at this time of the year I wouldn't bring them indoors, the temperature difference is too great.

Since you have had the room redecorated they will probably see it as a new area and won't remember the toilet area, so you should be okay. However if it's nice and new, why don't you just shut them out. If they've got the rest of the house they don't need your nice new bedroom to mess up :)

I've never heard of it mattering when moving from cold to warm. You certainly couldn't put them outside if they've previously been house bunnies, but not sure it's a problem if it's the other way round (although I'll be happy for anyone to tell me I'm wrong :lol:)

I've never heard of it mattering when moving from cold to warm. You certainly couldn't put them outside if they've previously been house bunnies, but not sure it's a problem if it's the other way round (although I'll be happy for anyone to tell me I'm wrong :lol:)

Any sudden and extreme change in temperature for a prolonged period can cause health issues. Outside to in just as much as inside to out. There is a chance that an outdoor bun with a very thick coat will overheat indoors after a short period of time.

When you go outside you probably put a coat on, maybe a hat and gloves. When you come inside you take them off. Rabbits can't do this. They will feel every degree of temperature difference when you put them back out again.

Any sudden and extreme change in temperature for a prolonged period can cause health issues. Outside to in just as much as inside to out. There is a chance that an outdoor bun with a very thick coat will overheat indoors after a short period of time.

This. espcially if you have your heating on! I used to bring my buns in for grooming from outside and you could see they were hot! So now i groom them out in the garage where they live.

I had the same problem with my bun, Rosie many years ago (She's at the bridge now)

She was an outside bun and I always thought it was cruel that she was outside all the time in the winter (I was only young) So would bring her in for a hop about the house. Unfortunately, after around 20 minutes she would start having breathing difficulties so she had to go back out again.

She always preferred to stay outside during the winter and after the first few times of seeing her have such trouble inside, she was left outside during the winter with the option of using her run.

Back