• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please HELP!!! is my rabbit ok????

kk_kayla

Mama Doe
hi,,,
ok so i know for a fact now that my rabbit is pregnant...i could see the babies moving in her belly...she finishing of making her nest now and has started pulling fur...the reason im worried is when she sits to have a rest she is grinding her teeth....why is this....my other rabbit didnt do this....im really worried. is she in pain???
please help :cry:

Sounds as though she is in labour. Is she due about now ?

i dont now when shes due....my male was meant to be a female and when we found out it was a female seperated them...my other rabbit had babies 9 days ago.

shes propa ripping fur out now and breathing fast and keeps running over to have a drink.

my other rabbit wasnt like this though???

i dont now when shes due....my male was meant to be a female and when we found out it was a female seperated them...my other rabbit had babies 9 days ago.

shes propa ripping fur out now and breathing fast and keeps running over to have a drink.

my other rabbit wasnt like this though???

I would say that she will deliver within the next few hours. Is her hutch/cage in a nice quiet place ?

yes its in my spare room...shes in the bottom of a double hutch...the other female is upstairs with her babies.
does it hurt for rabbits to have babies?

ive got the heater on for her...also gave her special rabbit bedding (similar to cotton wall...i think shes very close to having them....she cant sit still for a minute!!! ...she keeps jumping up and pulling her fur out and adding it to nest.

Her uterus will be contracting which will obviously cause discomfort ie labour pains.

wow...i didnt think it hurt animals to have babies....i googled it but cldnt find anything...thats why i was so worried that she was grinding her teeth....but if it hurts them then thats prob why shes grinding her teeth

wow...i didnt think it hurt animals to have babies....i googled it but cldnt find anything...thats why i was so worried that she was grinding her teeth....but if it hurts them then thats prob why shes grinding her teeth

Maybe leave the room whilst she's having them? She might feel stressed and over protective of them. x

The actual birth should be over within a few minutes and once she's passed the placenta (which she will eat) the pains will subside :)

when i was putting things in her cage for her she was licking my hand and i gave her a little stroke and she seemed fine....

sounds like labour.it hurts everybody every animal.not the nicest of pains at all but animals hiide it better than us.id just make sure she has plenty of bedding and leave her be.hope everything goes smoothly

The whole process of labour, right through start of contractions to kindling should take no more than 20mins, so if its taking longer than that then you need to be prepared to call the emergency vets. She may ahve a stuck kit, or a foetal giant, or some other problem.

im going to sit at the door way....she cant see me but i can just see her...just to make sure shes ok.....then once she has had them i can see she is fine ill leave her to relax. ive just topped up her water and food so she will have plenty to eat and drink when she needs it.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP....I WAS GOING INTO PANICK ATTACK MODE

:love: TO YOU ALL :D

hi,,,
ok so i know for a fact now that my rabbit is pregnant...i could see the babies moving in her belly...she finishing of making her nest now and has started pulling fur...the reason im worried is when she sits to have a rest she is grinding her teeth....why is this....my other rabbit didnt do this....im really worried. is she in pain???
please help :cry:

Um I don't really know about rabbit pregnancy but it looks like she is near to have them just try and keep her calm and don't crowd and bother her she just needs a bit of rest. If it gets really bad call or take her to your local vet. Good luck and send pictures of the new arrivals! :D

Am I right in thinking cotton wool type bedding is dangerous to baby rabbits? It is for hamsters.

Hope the birth goes well.

Am I right in thinking cotton wool type bedding is dangerous to baby rabbits? It is for hamsters.

Yes it will be - it can get wrapped round little limbs so I'd remove it a.s.a.p. Hay would be just as useful for nesting and obviously more natural and much safer. :)

Hope all is going well x

Back