• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ad posted by local rabbit rescue..

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
Last year I found out about a rabbit rescue (few and far between here in America) that's located just 45 mins from my house. Went to check it out, discovering that it's AWFUL, rabbits packed floor to ceiling in wire cages, get no time to run and play, etc. That's how I ended up bringing Oscar home. He was in pretty bad condition and I couldn't leave him.

Anyway, was just searching free ads and saw this:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/pet/2112030944.html

Horribly small cages, "available and ready for xmas".
:evil::evil::evil:

I know they are doing the best with what they have. And rabbit care and education here is NOTHING like it is in the UK, but I can't help but feel awful and angry all at the same time.
Should I email them?

Honestly, to a lot of American's those are large cages. America is way behind of us when it comes to animal cages. Plus, the hutches may be OK for piggies or as a base.

Honestly, to a lot of American's those are large cages. America is way behind of us when it comes to animal cages. Plus, the hutches may be OK for piggies or as a base.

Oh I know. When I was a new bun owner, that's what I used, because I didn't know any better and that's all that I had seen.
And I agree that they'd be quite OK as a base. However, I doubt that's what they could be used for.
It just throws me off that this isn't a petstore that is selling these, but a rabbit rescue, which should know a bit better. And even if they can't provide the best care for the buns now, they should hope that they go to a better home and life a better life?
But again, I praise them for what they do. While they are far from perfect, they are probably one of just a hundred of rabbit only rescues here in the US.

I'm sorry I cant look, but I have read your post, I think a well constructed email, informative and polite email - and possibly offers of help? - would be a good start.

I really don't get it, everything else in the US is HUGE!!

:lol: i know there big macs are absolutely ginormous :lol:
and too be honest the rspca in the uk aint that good they never let the rabbits out the cages for a run and they dont see grass even through summer and the rspca where i live the cages are not big at all far from actually
i know this from volunteering there i did it for a year then started doing more hours at where i work
the double hutch in the pic looks adequate and aslon as the animal has the 5 freedoms nothing can really be done about it but to my understanding isnt
freedom to exercise one of the 5 freedoms just shows how hypocritical they are no effence to most rescues but the rspca really ort to scrub up and get the act together

Back