• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many square feet?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Is there a guideline offered by the RWF on how many square feet a rabbit enclosure should have in total and how much extra would you need for a pair, trio or foursome?

How many square feet do your bunnies have access to at all times? I think mine works out at 88 but my maths was never great (8x6' shed plus 5x8' run).

For a pair it's 36 sq ft - 6x2 hutch plus 6x4 run. Mine probably have about this. My lionheads maybe a little less as there is a slope from the stairs jutting into the room. They get run time on the landing though.

That's what I was wondering, I'm making a wee care sheet and wondered if there was an organisation that recommended a half decent minimum size.

I found this on the rwf website:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/HutchisnotenoughLft.pdf

It recommends a 6x2x2 hutch, then goes on to mention a run for exercise, min size 8x4.

It's a shame that it doesn't give any guidelines about how much access to the run the rabbits should be given though - ideally it should be 24 hrs imo or a good part of the day if that's not possible.

feel like i ought to measure my living room now! say if eric hasn't got enough room - not that he'd use it anyway as he's still too scared to go near the stairs:roll:

feel like i ought to measure my living room now! say if eric hasn't got enough room - not that he'd use it anyway as he's still too scared to go near the stairs:roll:

It's got to be bigger than 8x4 surely? :lol::lol::lol:

I don't blame Eric.... stairs are bad for you. Mine often try to kill me as I'm always tripping over nothing. :roll: :lol:

It's got to be bigger than 8x4 surely? :lol::lol::lol:

I don't blame Eric.... stairs are bad for you. Mine often try to kill me as I'm always tripping over nothing. :roll: :lol:

my stairs did try to kill me 5 yrs ago:roll: bit o brain surgery and i'm still here to cause trouble tho:D

Oh gosh, yes, I didn't think of that when I posted... I hope I didn't sound insensitive now. :oops:

don't be daft! i shouldn't have posted what i did - i must have been thinking about it at the time:oops:

all done and dusted now - and if that hadn't happened, i doubt i'd ever have had house bunnies:love:

don't be daft! i shouldn't have posted what i did - i must have been thinking about it at the time:oops:

all done and dusted now - and if that hadn't happened, i doubt i'd ever have had house bunnies:love:

Phew, that's ok then. :D:D It sounded as though you can still see the funny side of what was a very serious accident but just wanted to make sure I hadn't put my foot in it. ;)

And, if it's lead to having house bunnies, maybe stairs aren't such a bad thing after all. :love:

Lol Donna. :lol::lol::lol:

I guess it depends on the breed of rabbit too :L if you had a netherland dwarf i am sure it wouldnt need a 6ft X 2ft, where as a dutch proebly would or a larger breed :L and if you have bunnies like mine they only sleep in there hutches at night and are out all day in there run :L

Back