• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

when to handle kits

kk_kayla

Mama Doe
hi, my rabbit had 4 little babies 9 days ago. i know im not meant to handle them just yet but when would you suggest handling them for the first time.....ive looked around but there are so many different apoinions...so thought i would ask in here to get a better answer....any ideas???

I handled mine from two days old because its generally a myth that they eat their young. The only time they will is if they are under extreme stress or feel threatened, which generally a domestic, who is settled in a home, is unlikely to do.

I would suggest handling them whenever you want, just ensure your hands are not smelling of anything strong, and stroke mum first.

If you're going to wait, maybe a good time would be when their eyes open, which will be 10-14 days, but normally 11-12.

yh that was what i was going to wait for..because im going to have to handle then around that time to make sure their eyes are ok and all of them are open... :D

I'd say it depends on the personality of the doe. If she has a good temperament and trusts you then it's ok to handle them from birth but if she's nervous or bad tempered I'd stay well away until they leave the nest apart from checking to see if there's any dead babies.

I'd say it depends on the personality of the doe. If she has a good temperament and trusts you then it's ok to handle them from birth but if she's nervous or bad tempered I'd stay well away until they leave the nest apart from checking to see if there's any dead babies.

shes really lovely...when she was pregnant she wasnt moody and let me stroke her and everything....when i go near her nest she does watch me....i havnt touched them or the nest when shes been watching me so not to sure how she would react...but she lets me look at them and shes let me watch her feed them and stuff and hasnt gone crazy

Back