• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water freezing

Babsie

Wise Old Thumper
Not sure who said this on here - but one of the best tips I've picked up (yes, I know I'm sad!) - cold water doesn't freeze as quickly in water bowls as hot does! In addition to my (outdoor) rabbits' water bowl, I am also looking after a neighbour's aviary of birds and it has been a nightmare checking for frozen water. This has worked so much better, so thank you - whoever you are. :D

Please someone reply to me and say that I wasn't a complete idiot thinking it was better to use warm water.:oops:

Hi, i too thought that hot water would be better but apparently room temp takes longer to freeze so i have two sets of bottles that i swop around every few hours :wave:

I use warm water and the bunnies love it and seek it out when I change it. As a result, because I know it freezes faster, I change it more or use snugglesafes underneath. We've not had serious freezing though, mainly just some slushy stuff, which they can obviously still drink from.

Its related to how fast the molecules are moving about and the reactions that causes, I believe.

Yes, think that's right. There was a thread about it a couple of weeks ago. If you Google it, you find all the tech stuff.

Rubbish! Although I have been told in no uncertain terms I have to dissociate this opinion from "martlou" who is my other half and believes this myth (and many others).

I will try and explain this from a physical (thermodynamics) point of view.

Let us say we have two cups of water, both exactly the same in every way except the temperature of the water. Cup 'C' has cold water initially at 5 degrees C while cup 'H' has hot water at temperature 55 degrees C.

Both are placed in a very cold environment, say outside tonight, which is about minus 10 degrees C.

Both cups of water will begin cooling. The RATE of cooling from cup 'H' will be initially be faster than cup 'C' because the temperature difference is greater, but the water in cup 'C' will freeze first. The rate of cooling of cup 'C' will be lower but it has only 15 degrees to fall whereas the other 'H' cup has 65 degrees C to fall.

This hasn't proved anything just yet but consider, what happens to the water in cup 'H' when it cools to 5 degrees C (i.e. the original temperature of the water in cup 'C'?). Has the water in cup 'C' just sat there waiting for the hot water to catch up?!!

Mon dieu - you will be telling me next that you unzip and take off your coat when you go inside so that you can put it back on and 'feel the benefit' when you go back outside.

Happy flaming guys and gals.

As an aside - may be it was a mistake to describe the containers as cups because now all I can think of is an odd looking bra.

Rubbish! Although I have been told in no uncertain terms I have to dissociate this opinion from "martlou" who is my other half and believes this myth (and many others).

I will try and explain this from a physical (thermodynamics) point of view.

Let us say we have two cups of water, both exactly the same in every way except the temperature of the water. Cup 'C' has cold water initially at 5 degrees C while cup 'H' has hot water at temperature 55 degrees C.

Both are placed in a very cold environment, say outside tonight, which is about minus 10 degrees C.

Both cups of water will begin cooling. The RATE of cooling from cup 'H' will be initially be faster than cup 'C' because the temperature difference is greater, but the water in cup 'C' will freeze first. The rate of cooling of cup 'C' will be lower but it has only 15 degrees to fall whereas the other 'H' cup has 65 degrees C to fall.

This hasn't proved anything just yet but consider, what happens to the water in cup 'H' when it cools to 5 degrees C (i.e. the original temperature of the water in cup 'C'?). Has the water in cup 'C' just sat there waiting for the hot water to catch up?!!

Mon dieu - you will be telling me next that you unzip and take off your coat when you go inside so that you can put it back on and 'feel the benefit' when you go back outside.

Happy flaming guys and gals.

As an aside - may be it was a mistake to describe the containers as cups because now all I can think of is an odd looking bra.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Re the above, yes I am dissociating myself from my OH re the above :lol::lol:. We've had this argument a few times and it started when I told him that ice rink owners put hot water on the rink to make it smooth again because it froze faster. I also can't get him to accept that you don't feel the benefit when you go out if you have your coat on inside. He always has some scientific reason why he thinks I'm wrong, but I don't care - if I already had my coat on then I don't feel as warm - you can't argue with feelings as you can't feel the feeling for me !!!

Re the above, yes I am dissociating myself from my OH re the above :lol::lol:. We've had this argument a few times and it started when I told him that ice rink owners put hot water on the rink to make it smooth again because it froze faster. I also can't get him to accept that you don't feel the benefit when you go out if you have your coat on inside. He always has some scientific reason why he thinks I'm wrong, but I don't care - if I already had my coat on then I don't feel as warm - you can't argue with feelings as you can't feel the feeling for me !!!

But I love him really even though he does have silly ideas sometimes :lol::lol:

If we are getting into physics... am I right in thinking that a larger volume of water ( eg our usual 1l bottles) will take longer to freeze than a smaller one.
And does it matter anyway, given that the spouts freeze first?
And.......do bottle covers actually do any good, given that it is the spouts that freeze first.

And.....when is this b***** freezing weather going to end?

Back