• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

warning for outdoor buns

tinkabellswish

Warren Scout
:shock::shock::shock::shock:
can every1 please check there rabbits feet to make sure there claws are not too long just checked mine and was rather shocked at how long belles claws were they were starting to make her feet spread as they was curling
im a bad bunny mummy should of noticed sooner :oops: all sorted now tho claws trimmed to the correct length
so please every1 now that we cant spend as much time out with the bunnys that we would like due to the weather please take a moment to check there feet :)

:wave: Good call
don't worry, you did something about it and it wasn't serious.
My 2 had theirs done last week at the vet - last time I tried, they were actually not as long as I thought. This time they looked humungous but still only got about 2mm off the longest ones.

Thanks for the warning.

I check all my buns over every other day, mainly for grooming, they dont like it very much :lol:

i seem to check tink more than belle because tink likes cuddles belle would ratha have her feet planted firmly on the ground :lol: then let me cuddle her :lol:
well done to u both for checking your rabbits :)

I clipped Mae's the other day and made 2 bleed a little :shock: obviously they werent as long as they looked!

opsie daisy, easy thing to do i learned how to do it at college, but is hard to do on black rabbits as u cant see there blood vessel inside the claw so you have to guess a little thankfully i managed it without and injury's caused

My brothers gf (who is a vet nurse) usually comes and cuts my bunnies nails and gives them a check over but last week I decided that I wanted to be able to cut my own bunnies nails so I did it and had no problems at all (thank goodness!) Sydnee even fell asleep while I was doing it!

great reminder! I was just telling Indiana this morning I need to check her nails and get her all ready for christmas!:roll::love::love::love:

Orlas getting spade on the 18th of Jan so will ask the vets to trim both buns nails as Im too scared to do it! :shock:

They are a bit long just now but im sure a few more weeks wont harm them. :D

opsie daisy, easy thing to do i learned how to do it at college, but is hard to do on black rabbits as u cant see there blood vessel inside the claw so you have to guess a little thankfully i managed it without and injury's caused

Shining a light through the claw helps.

I've never done it before so I felt really bad, not that she seemed that bothered :roll: managed Sebastians fine because he has clear claws :thumb:

Schuette, can you do that by yourself and cut at the same time :wave: I cant work out if it's possible and no one is around most of the time to help me clip thier claws :(

I've never done it before so I felt really bad, not that she seemed that bothered :roll: managed Sebastians fine because he has clear claws :thumb:

Schuette, can you do that by yourself and cut at the same time :wave: I cant work out if it's possible and no one is around most of the time to help me clip thier claws :(

I've got a head lamp to try it. I'll have to be careful not to get it in their eyes though. I think I'd still need someone to help me. I normally do it right by the window and this gives me just about enough light. Nutmeg has half black claws and half white.

I've got a head lamp to try it. I'll have to be careful not to get it in their eyes though. I think I'd still need someone to help me. I normally do it right by the window and this gives me just about enough light. Nutmeg has half black claws and half white.

oooh Ill try a lamp that we have might work :wave:

Rascal's claws grow so fast @_@ luckily it's easy to see the vein in his nails, I struggle a bit finding Batbunny's though, but since Bats is so sweet and patient (He has no problems having his claws clipped at all, very calm and still, unlike my other little fluff :roll:) it's not much of a problem

How strange, ive literally just finished clipping Pies claws. I hold my breath as im doing it so im sure i go a delightful shade of blue by the end!

Will be booking Ind's in to the vet to have his done at the same time as jabs in the new year, his are black and no matter how i shine a light under them, still cant see the quick!

Mine have a concrete outbuilding with their hutch in, so their claws are constantly kept down. It's funny because sometimes in photos or when I am holding them, they look and feel long, but they are at the quick so not really!

Mine have a concrete outbuilding with their hutch in, so their claws are constantly kept down. It's funny because sometimes in photos or when I am holding them, they look and feel long, but they are at the quick so not really!

I've found since having the lino down I don't have to cut them so much. It's been a several months now and they are just getting to the stage where I need to have a good look see if anything needs to come off.

Thanks for the reminder! Buzzby has only ever had his cut once in the time we've had him, he seems to wear them down himself a lot and its one of the things I check every day, but my piggles must be due nail trims again, must have been a few weeks since they had theirs done. I hate trimming them, too many black nails and I worry about cutting too far up.

Back