• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this normal?

chul

Staff member
Just rang and booked Bunski in for neuter. She mentioned that he might have to stay over night? Is this normal? :?

Just rang and booked Bunski in for neuter. She mentioned that he might have to stay over night? Is this normal? :?

Certainly not for a male. For a female, i have heard of it though however, but rarely.

For some clinics yes, and not for others. IMO rabbits heal and recover much better in their own environment at home and for bucks it is quite a minor Op but if there are complications or the owner feels unable to cope with bun being in recovery then they may be better hospitalised however I would ONLY allow this with a bunny-savy clinic where there is someone on site ALL NIGHT long to monitor and look after the rabbit otherwise the suggestion is pointless.

I don't want him to stay in there. He would be so unhappy. I was planning on staying up to look after him as I'm off work when it is booked... Wondering if I should ring a different vets :?

:wave:

The vets I go to do this to monitor their gut movement etc. Its a personal choice I suppose but I felt more at ease that they are in the best hands for the 24 hours after op. :)

I just know he hates small cages, well cages at all, and without me and the OH he won't be happy at all :cry: I'm sure she said 'might' but I'm getting really worried already and it isn't until a week tomorrow :(

I just know he hates small cages, well cages at all, and without me and the OH he won't be happy at all :cry: I'm sure she said 'might' but I'm getting really worried already and it isn't until a week tomorrow :(

Phone back and ask them under what circumstances they hospitalise and if you can take bun home with you if all is well post-op, I would also ask if they are hospitalised whether or not there is a staff member on site all night - if not I would say I was taking bun home, or find another vets. :wave:

Please dont worry, no doubt if hes eating fine after op, they will send him home. :)

My vets are very rabbit savvy & buns are kept in large pens with 24 hour monitoring, this is the only reason why I feel happy to leave them overnight. :)

I hate phoning people so don't fancy ringing back. I only rang because my OH flat out refused last night and argued because he wanted to 'see if I could do it on my own' :roll:

I guess I'll have to wait and see. I swear she said they wouldn't do in this thursday incase he did have to stay in as it would be Xmas eve. So maybe it is just if there are complications.

I'm such a worrier.

Mine all went in in the morning and were discharged late afternoon after they had started eating and pooping. Buttercup had to be re-admitted in the evening as he stopped eating (most likely the stress of the journey home as he had eaten whilst he was there) and he stayed overnight so that they could monitor him, but they knew I was a first time rabbit owner and had never syringe fed etc before.

If he comes home same day make sure they send you home with pain relief :)

I hate phoning people so don't fancy ringing back. I only rang because my OH flat out refused last night and argued because he wanted to 'see if I could do it on my own' :roll:

I guess I'll have to wait and see. I swear she said they wouldn't do in this thursday incase he did have to stay in as it would be Xmas eve. So maybe it is just if there are complications.

I'm such a worrier.

Can you email?Our vets are happy for non urgent queries to be emailed :)

Please dont worry, no doubt if hes eating fine after op, they will send him home. :)

My vets are very rabbit savvy & buns are kept in large pens with 24 hour monitoring, this is the only reason why I feel happy to leave them overnight. :)

I don't know how they keep them there, but if I am told he should stay if there are no complications etc, I will ask to see and if it is no good, I will consider taking him home.
OH will do doubt refuse to go with me if he thinks I might 'kick off' :lol:

Me too usually!

Another question, what pain relief would they send me with and how would it be given to him? :?

Probably oral metacam, which can be syringed or disguised in food.

Mine didn't get any to come home with, but I hadn't found RU at the time and didn't know better :( Although thankfully, apart from Buttercup's stasis, they all were bouncing around quite happily as soon as they were home :)

I just think it's better to have the option of pain relief :)

I second getting metacam, as its also an anti-inflamatory. The vet said my rabbit didnt need it but he refused to drink for a week afterwards and Im sure it was the pain. I had to stay home and syringe feed him every hour, he loved it :roll: only just got him back onto pure water in the last week.

Back