• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you with outdoor rabbits

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
How are they, and you (!), coping with this weather?

I've had outdoor rabbits in the past and, although we had snow when I had them, I never experienced such extremely cold temperatures as we are having this winter!

I'll be honest, I'm fed up with the constant worry about them. Trying to make sure they are warm enough and water bottles aren't frozen. Guessing how long is long enough free range time and I'm missing being able to spend lots of time with them :( But they seem to be coping ok, little bit fed up at being restricted but quite happy generally!!

They are fine today. No frozen water because we had another 4 inches of snow and it is still quite warm outside. All they were interested in was food and getting in the run. Thanks for asking how is the handsome Louie today :wave:

Mine seem to be ok I am feeding them a bit more. The main problem I have is that the snow fell on the poo in the run and the froze so its a bit mucky but thats all really

Smirnoff seems fine. She lives outside, but I give her loads of bedding and food which keeps her happy. She loves going in her run so I let her out in the run, and then she goes back inside! Haha funny thing!

I give her lots of cuddles and strokes a day and she seems perfectly normal. At night I cover her up with a towel and then a waterproof cover over the top of the towel.
:love:

They are fine today. No frozen water because we had another 4 inches of snow and it is still quite warm outside. All they were interested in was food and getting in the run. Thanks for asking how is the handsome Louie today :wave:

Louie is good thanks for asking! He just had his breakfast and is now making himself look beautiful and nibbling some hay inbetween grooming himself :love:

It sounds as though they cope well with the low temperatures. Exercise out of the hutch/shed must be a nightmare to sort out when you have a lot of snow in the garden!

That's definitely my problem at the moment. I can hardly get the gate to their enclosure open!!

Its been very cold and I must admit I'm thinking of bringing Honey in. When I checked on her last night and to give her two heated snugglesafes her water was starting to freeze (so far its only happened once during this cold spell). This morning water was completely frozen and given that temperatures won't go above freezing today its just getting a bit too cold. At least her snugglesafes still had a bit of heat in them this morning.

Just that its a long time to Spring and she has always been an outdoor bunny, plus I have 4 dogs who will be very inquisative especially one who will chase anything that moves (the cats will testify to that :lol:). She's also a easily stressed bunny so having lots of animals around will no doubt upset her -- argh -- just can't bear the thought of her being cold. :?

My two are both fine. They dont seem any different to in the summer, infact are more active than in the hot weather.

Yes, I would imagine that the water freezing is a big problem.

I don't know about you binging her in though, depends on the rabbit. 2 that I had living outdoors would never, ever have been happy inside. They only came inside for a few days when they were neutered and they hated it.

Louie, on the other hand, loves being inside, is totally happy :D

:( must be very hard.

We are predicted heavy snow again tomorrw :roll:

I think that's more the problem that it has gone on so long and there seems to be no end in sight!! I have considered bringing mine in and we had a trial run of them in the conservatory when Tin Tin had his operation but there were just rabbits everywhere :shock: I already have 2 fosters that usually live in the conservatory and 2 new buns that are waiting to go outside when it warms up in the converted cupboard under the stairs as their base and the rest of the downstairs as their playpen!! :roll::lol:

I have left the shed heaters on permanently to keep them just above freezing as it doesn't seem to get above -4 during the day here.

None of them have come into the garden as the snow is just too deep, and thy've popped their heads out into their enclosures for a few minutes, then I've not seen them out again all day!

Luckily they have plenty of room to move about their sheds, but I guess they must be pretty bored.
They do sit by their windows though, so get to watch the little bit of activity going on about them

I honestly don't know how you cope, I would be a nervous wreck if mine were outside. I guess they're well adapted for it though :)

my two buns are fine i have done all i can to keep them warm enough and tbh im not that worried about them they look in very good condition and have a lovely think coat i watch them outside for around 30 mins to make sure they are ok in them selfs and to me look like normal happy buns i think sometimes people worry too much
rabbits live all over the world and are a very sturdy species and can cope with many temperatures :)

I think last night may have been the worst temperature we've had - according to the weather forecast it dropped to -11 :shock: but is set to get better as the week goes on, a balmy -3 , so may hold off bringing her in for the moment.

Molly and joker dont seem to mind checked at 1am and 4am both sitting out in the run
despite extra bedding snugglesafe fllece and extra food,
Then this morning opened the run and both flew out for 30mins in the snow.
Mabel on her own at the moment until bonding back with one of her babies,seems the same .
Two babies ( 9 weeks) are in a smaller hutch with hay straw ,snugglesafes and fleeces as warm as toast
I was worried sick and checked at 1am and 4am.Seemed oblivious and seem to enjoy the light of the full moon.
Anyway summer is coming,shortest day today.:wave:

Molly and joker dont seem to mind checked at 1am and 4am both sitting out in the run
despite extra bedding snugglesafe fllece and extra food,
Then this morning opened the run and both flew out for 30mins in the snow.
Mabel on her own at the moment until bonding back with one of her babies,seems the same .
Two babies ( 9 weeks) are in a smaller hutch with hay straw ,snugglesafes and fleeces as warm as toast
I was worried sick and checked at 1am and 4am.Seemed oblivious and seem to enjoy the light of the full moon.
Anyway summer is coming,shortest day today.:wave:

Best news for ages!

Back