• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit is Hungry all day!

nikitanain

Warren Scout
When Benny first began to ask for food, I was happy that he has a good appetite, but now am a lil concerned since Benny has unlimited access to 2 types of hay but he still asks for food all the time.. He runs behind me with full speed when am giving food to my other pets and at times he tumbles due to running so fast...

Is this normal behavior for a 4-5 month old rabbit or should I be worried about him always being hungry...His diet consist of 2 large cups of rabbit pellets, alfalfa hay, very lil fresh veggies thrice a week and hay from a cow meadow..

Last edited:
I take it he has a portion of dry food too?

Rabbits do tend to claim they are permanently hungry :lol:

You really need to cut down on his pellets for the sake of his teeth. 2 large cups of pellets would last my 2 a good few weeks. They only need a handful but lots and lots of hay.

The reason they appear hungry all the time is that they are designed to constantly eat hay, grass and other plants so that's normal. Pellets and other treats are more yummy, like sweets are to children to it's natural that they will beg for more of them. Pellets are very high in calories so if fed in too high quantities the rabbit will get fat and not want to eat hay as he is full up from the pellets.

Ahh, missed your edit. Yes, I agree cut back on the pellets and try upping the veggies to daily and gradually increasing the variety. He can eat a higher volume of veggies and get less calories so they will fill him up and make good enrichment.

Id agree with upping his veg and reducing his pellets.
Dont worry about him seeming hungry, buns love their food and can be very greedy (andvery manipulative!) :lol: Aslong as he eats enough hay and isnt underweight hes ok :wave:

Thank you everyone for replying..

This is what I said
His diet consist of 2 large cups of rabbit pellets, alfalfa hay, very lil fresh veggies thrice a week and hay from a cow meadow..

This is his weekly diet and not his daily diet.. Every week he gets a total of 2 large cups of rabbit pellets, veggies thrice a week and two types of hay... I should have mentioned the "weekly" word.. :oops:

He doesnt like pellets a lot, that's why I give him 2 large cups every week and not more...

As suggested I shall increase his veggie consumption..

I am glad to know that he is a normal lil hungry bunny.. :)

Alfalfa hay is quite fattening and high in calcium so only a tiny amount should be given. I actually don't bother with it i've had it in the past and ended up throwing most of it.

Thank you everyone for replying..

This is what I said

This is his weekly diet and not his daily diet.. Every week he gets a total of 2 large cups of rabbit pellets, veggies thrice a week and two types of hay... I should have mentioned the "weekly" word.. :oops:

He doesnt like pellets a lot, that's why I give him 2 large cups every week and not more...

As suggested I shall increase his veggie consumption..

I am glad to know that he is a normal lil hungry bunny.. :)

bloody hell my rabbit has about half a large cup a day. if i try to feed him less i get looks off him as if to say wat no more. he gets quite scary some times :shock:

bloody hell my rabbit has about half a large cup a day. if i try to feed him less i get looks off him as if to say wat no more. he gets quite scary some times :shock:

he is surprising thin though dont have any way of weighting him but hopefully when i take him in for his neautering they will weight him because they need to figure out how much anaesthitic to give him. he has a very big appetite to but if hes hungry i just give him more hay or veggies.

Have a chat with your vet about it if you're worried. It can be had to judge a rabbits healthy weight so they'll be able to tell you how he's doing and if you make a note you can weigh him if your worried. How man pellets etc they can get without getting fat depends on things like exercise level too as the more active they are the more calories they'll burn off.

I was told that alfalfa hay is good for young bunnies, hence I got some.. If you feel that timothy hay and regular hay from the cow shed is better then I shall switch..

Benny is not thin as such, but he is not overweight either.. He is small and weighs 475 grams.. Since he is a cross breed I would guess that his parents wernt very large.. However, I cant confirm this since I rescued him from a person who wanted to feed him and another rabbit (RIP Milo) to stray dogs...

As mentioned in my previous posts on other an thread, the vets in my city/country do not even know how to treat dogs properly let alone a rabbit.. When my previous rabbits were ill, I spent visited at least a dozen vets, the best advice I got was" stay away from ur rabbits" and "nothing can be done"..

I was told that alfalfa hay is good for young bunnies, hence I got some.. If you feel that timothy hay and regular hay from the cow shed is better then I shall switch..

Benny is not thin as such, but he is not overweight either.. He is small and weighs 475 grams.. Since he is a cross breed I would guess that his parents wernt very large.. However, I cant confirm this since I rescued him from a person who wanted to feed him and another rabbit (RIP Milo) to stray dogs...

As mentioned in my previous posts on other an thread, the vets in my city/country do not even know how to treat dogs properly let alone a rabbit.. When my previous rabbits were ill, I spent visited at least a dozen vets, the best advice I got was" stay away from ur rabbits" and "nothing can be done"..

It must be extremely difficult to hav ebunnies in a non-bunny-savvy country Nikitanain :(

You are doing your best and that in itself is to be commended.

duke likes to claim he is always hungry.... its kinda cute. i find that if i put more hay in he will quite hapily sit down and munch that (even if id only put fresh in 10 minutes earlier! its like he thinks hes got his way and got some new food!)

he gets around 16 pellets morning and evening and then a small amount of veg in the evening too and endless hay plus the odd locust bean or bit of dried fruit (but he only gets the fruit a couple of times a week)

just ordered him some fenugreek crunchies too as when with The Duchess on his date he apparently decided he liked them having refused before, and Libby was happily eating them too so softie mum has ordered them some.

I think it's good for rabbits who are a bit underweight or who are still growing. How old is little one now?

Thanks GrahamL

Leigh - It is cute that bunnies ask for food.. Benny stands with his front legs in the air when he wants food and only comes back to a normal position when I give him food..

Schuette - Benny is 4 or 5 months old.. The person I got Benny from dint know Benny's age but everyone on the forum estimated that he is 3 - 4 months old, and this was a month ago...

Benny has a small 1/25th inch sized crust on his ear, in the middle of the ear, not on the inside.. I am hoping this isnt the beginning of mites.. Can anyone confirm that I am being paranoid.. I shall take a pic if needed..

Back