• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Glass Bottles - Caution

shay

Warren Scout
Yesterday I came home to find the bunnies bottle had cracked in the freezing weather, the water had leaked out, down the spout and into their hutch. It had soaked their bedding and then frozen :shock:

I use a glass bottle and had filled it almost full, obviously the cold had made the water freeze and expand. Luckily though, I'd put a tubi-grip over to try to keep it from freezing, and then a bottle snug over the top of that so that had prevented the glass from shattering and causing any injury. And fortunately, the top floor of the hutch is plastic so it hadn't soaked through the wood either.

My mum had checked on their bowl and refreshed that a couple of times during the day and had noticed they weren't upstairs in their hutch, now we know why. Stoopid weather :censored:

Can't wait for this cold snap to be over. Snow is for Christmas Day only :lol::lol:

last night I found another cracked water bottle. i'm not going to bother with them, I've been using bowls and bottles but the spouts always freeze anyway.
We should be getting a thaw on Boxing Day - everything crossed :D

I'm not so sure on water bottles. I have bowls for mine. I do give the nethies a bottle as they seem to like it, but they freeze over so quickly.

I found a cracked glass bottle a couple of weeks back so swapped back to plastic bottles 'til the weather warms up. It's not too much of an issue for me as I provide a bottle and a bowl so they have the choice.

I've had two boken glass bottles too. So I've swapped to plastic bottles and bowls for now. Constantly having to change them over though, they freeze so quickly!

Yesterday I came home to find the bunnies bottle had cracked in the freezing weather, the water had leaked out, down the spout and into their hutch. It had soaked their bedding and then frozen :shock:

I use a glass bottle and had filled it almost full, obviously the cold had made the water freeze and expand. Luckily though, I'd put a tubi-grip over to try to keep it from freezing, and then a bottle snug over the top of that so that had prevented the glass from shattering and causing any injury. And fortunately, the top floor of the hutch is plastic so it hadn't soaked through the wood either.

My mum had checked on their bowl and refreshed that a couple of times during the day and had noticed they weren't upstairs in their hutch, now we know why. Stoopid weather :censored:

Can't wait for this cold snap to be over. Snow is for Christmas Day only :lol::lol:

Why are you using glass bottles? Its a problem with mine too. I am not sure what to do really but all I can say is that I would try your best so there is water for them.

Why are you using glass bottles? Its a problem with mine too. I am not sure what to do really but all I can say is that I would try your best so there is water for them.

I bought a glass bottle designed for small animals because they're easier to clean and came with a metal fixing. Pebbles tried to eat the plastic-coated fixings. :roll: But then I bought the bottle snug which comes with a elastic bungey-fixing anyway :lol:

They have a bottle AND a bowl of water (which they prefer) but I like to give them 2 options. At the moment, I'm using a spare plastic bottle and fortunately, it's warmed up by a couple of degrees so neither the bottle nor the bowl froze today. :D

Back