• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my rabbit has just had 7 babies!

ThomasCroal

Young Bun
hi i need some help, my rabbit has just given birth and i dont know what to do!? i didnt even know she was pregnant! any info would be appreciated alot... thanks!

First of all you will need to separate her from the male. If she was with the male when she gave birth, there's every possibility that she'll be pregant again.

The kits will have to stay with their mother until they're eight weeks old.

First of all you will need to separate her from the male. If she was with the male when she gave birth, there's every possibility that she'll be pregant again.

The kits will have to stay with their mother until they're eight weeks old.

The male has a seperate hutch, so she was alone whilst having them :) should i do something ? or just let her get on with it? im clueless :(

I'm not sure but I don't think you're supposed to touch the babies at all for now? I hope someone with more experience than me will some to help you very soon.
sue:wave:

Is she an outdoor or an indoor bun? If she's outdoor I would try to add more insulation over the hutch-like a blanket as its very cold tonight.(I assume you are an adult and able to do this?)

Last edited:
Woah! Ok, first, relax, second, remove the buck from the mother and the kits if you have one, and make sure the mother and babies have plenty of bedding and water.

I know little on rabbit babbies I'm afraid, you're best make sure she's comfortable and nursing the kits, (I don't think you should handle them) and perhaps call a vet when you can. They might be able to advise you on what to do.

Woah! Ok, first, relax, second, remove the buck from the mother and the kits if you have one, and make sure the mother and babies have plenty of bedding and water.

ive put an extra water bottle on just incase, and there plenty of food :) what happens if she doesnt feed them ? :/

I don't think you should touch the babies. However, you should check if there are any dead kits, which you will have to remove.

I think the advice to speak to your vet is good advice. There's usually an out of hours vet who can give you free advice over the phone on what to do next.

I'm sorry - I'm just guessing what the most sensible thing is and best you get advice from the vet.

I think the advice to speak to your vet is good advice. There's usually an out of hours vet who can give you free advice over the phone on what to do next.

I'm sorry - I'm just guessing what the most sensible thing is and best you get advice from the vet.

thanks sue :D

I'm not sure but I don't think you're supposed to touch the babies at all for now? I hope someone with more experience than me will some to help you very soon.

Is she an outdoor or an indoor bun? If she's outdoor I would try to add more insulation over the hutch-like a blanket as its very cold tonight.(I assume you are an adult and able to do this?)

shes an indoor bun :) so shes nice and warm, all the babies are alive and wriggling around under the masses of fur she has taken from hersel and put over them

as long as the kits are in the nest they should be fine, you will notice if she is feeding them as the kits will get nice rounded bellies after a few days ;) I have very limited knowledge sorry :(

You're welcome! Good luck with the kits! :)

one more thing.. the buck is a mini lop and the doe is a giant continental rabbit, is there anyway of tellin what the babies will grow up to be like ? will it be a mixture or some big and some small? lop ears or normal ?

I am not sure proebly a mixture :) its a good job the breeds arent the other way round :L you wouldnt want a mini lop being pregnant with conti sized babies :O :L

hi i need some help, my rabbit has just given birth and i dont know what to do!? i didnt even know she was pregnant! any info would be appreciated alot... thanks!

We had the same shock ,when the stray we found Mabel( who we decided to keep and get her a freind) had six babies 9 weeks ago.
She kept the babies well covered for along time.Just made sure we gave her plenty of food and water she seemed to drink a lot.Also extra straw and hay .
If she is indoors it will probably be a lot easier.Did not see much movement for quite a while from babies.Mum seem to only go to them to feed them rather than sit by them.
Happy to say all survived this cold weather.
My main worry was finding loving homes for them.
I would start asking around already .Have homed all of mine and we are keeping one.Must say thanks to people on this forum.4 have gone as 2 pairs and the other to be with others for bonding.
Good Luck keep us updated.

Back